Mississippi Legislation Declares All Federal Gun Control Unconstitutional
raykeller
2015-01-27 23:18:45 UTC
http://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2015/01/mississippi-legislation-declares-all-federal-gun-control-unconstitutional/

Mississippi Legislation Declares All Federal Gun Control Unconstitutional

Two bills filed in the Mississippi House and Senate would make it an express
duty of the state government to protect the gun rights of Mississippians
against federal gun control measures.

House Bill 1297 (HB1297) was filed by Rep. Staples last week. It declares
â?oAll federal acts, laws, orders, rules or regulations regarding firearms
are a violation of the Second Amendment.�

In other words, as the Founders understood, the federal government has no
authority over firearms, period.

The bill goes on to declare that all such federal acts are â?oinvalid in
this state, shall not be recognized by this state, are specifically rejected
by this state, and shall be considered null and void and of no effect in
this state.�

It continues with a requirement to stop federal gun control in the state:

It shall be the duty of the Legislature of this state to adopt and enact
any and all measures as may be necessary to prevent the enforcement of any
federal acts, laws, orders, rules or regulations in violation of the Second
Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

Senate Bill 2715 (SB2715) works with HB1297 by implementing specific actions
to help thwart some federal gun control.  It bans State and Local
authorities from enabling some Federal enforcement:

No state agency, department, political subdivision of the state or any
agent or employee of a state agency, department or political subdivision
shall plan, implement, assist, participate in, enable or cooperate with any
federal law, rule, regulation or order created or effective on or after
January 1, 2016, if the law rule, regulation or order attempts to:

(a)Â Ban or restrict ownership of a semiautomatic firearm or any magazine
of a firearm;

(b)Â Require any firearm, magazine or other firearm accessory to be
registered in any manner;

(c)Â Confiscate a firearm, magazine or other firearm accessory from
law-abiding Mississippi citizens; or

(d)Â Take, with or without compensation, any privately owned real
property because of any international treaty or agency agreement entered
into by the federal government.

â?oThe 2nd Amendment is in danger, the states need to protect it from
federal violation,� said Michael Boldin, executive director of the Tenth
Amendment Center. â?oIn 1798, Thomas Jefferson authored a resolution for
Kentucky calling on states to stop federal overreach, and itâ?Ts pretty hard
to argue that the guy who wrote the Declaration of Independence was wrong
about how to stop federal power,� Boldin continued.

Ed Huntress
2015-01-28 00:03:54 UTC
On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 16:18:45 -0700, "raykeller"
Post by raykeller
http://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2015/01/mississippi-legislation-declares-all-federal-gun-control-unconstitutional/
Mississippi Legislation Declares All Federal Gun Control Unconstitutional
<snip>

I wonder which lesson Mississippi learned from the Nullification Acts
and the Civil War? That attempting to nullify federal laws will get
your state burned to the ground, like South Carolina was, or that
getting burned to the ground might be the best thing that ever happend
to Mississippi?
Ed Huntress
Scout
2015-01-28 05:50:55 UTC
Post by raykeller
http://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2015/01/mississippi-legislation-declares-all-federal-gun-control-unconstitutional/
Mississippi Legislation Declares All Federal Gun Control Unconstitutional
<snip>
I wonder which lesson Mississippi learned from the Nullification Acts
and the Civil War? That attempting to nullify federal laws will get
your state burned to the ground, like South Carolina was, or that
getting burned to the ground might be the best thing that ever happend
to Mississippi?
So tell us, when exactly does the federal government plan to burn Colorado
to the ground?

I suppose they will follow up with Alaska, Oregon and Washington States?

Add in SC and you're telling us that the US government is planning to lay
waste to 10% of our states?

What we see is a growing trend of telling an overly large and abusive
central government that we're not taking their bullshit anymore.
Ed Huntress
2015-01-28 12:42:42 UTC
Post by raykeller
http://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2015/01/mississippi-legislation-declares-all-federal-gun-control-unconstitutional/
Mississippi Legislation Declares All Federal Gun Control Unconstitutional
<snip>
I wonder which lesson Mississippi learned from the Nullification Acts
and the Civil War? That attempting to nullify federal laws will get
your state burned to the ground, like South Carolina was, or that
getting burned to the ground might be the best thing that ever happend
to Mississippi?
So tell us, when exactly does the federal government plan to burn Colorado
to the ground?
What makes you think they're planning to do that?
Post by Scout
I suppose they will follow up with Alaska, Oregon and Washington States?
Not likely.
Post by Scout
Add in SC and you're telling us that the US government is planning to lay
waste to 10% of our states?
I'm not telling you they're planning to lay waste to anything.
Post by Scout
What we see is a growing trend of telling an overly large and abusive
central government that we're not taking their bullshit anymore.
We've heard that before.
Ed Huntress
benj
2015-01-28 13:05:51 UTC
Post by Scout
What we see is a growing trend of telling an overly large and abusive
central government that we're not taking their bullshit anymore.
We've heard that before.
Lefty gummint lackeys always bring up the civil war as if it means you
must give in to any order the Federal government issues. "Proved States
can't secede from the union" it is averred. Which is, no surprise,
totally false. What the civil war established was that a handful (even
half) of the states can't secede. But the authority for ALL states to
secede is right in the Declaration of Independence.

So the KEY is for ALL states to secede from the so-called union and
reestablish themselves under the old constitution and first 13
Amendments (no slavery, but public debt WILL be questioned!)

I will know that we are winning once I start seeing conservative blacks
with Confederate battle flag license plates on their cars symbolizing
this secession and return to freedom.

What republicans and the civil war symbolize can be seen in the relief
in the Soldiers and Sailors Monument in Cleveland Ohio. In that monument
it shows a black man, a slave, and his arm and leg irons are being taken
away and he is being handed a gun!

THAT idea is what libs are desperately fighting! They want to maintain
slavery through economic dependence and disarm ALL citizens but
especially the honest black ones.
--
___ ___ ___ ___
/\ \ /\ \ /\__\ /\ \
\/__/ \/__/
jim <""sjedgingN0Sp\"@">
2015-01-28 13:57:32 UTC
Post by benj
Lefty gummint lackeys always bring up the civil war as if it means you
must give in to any order the Federal government issues. "Proved States
can't secede from the union" it is averred.
Today all the federal gummint does is threaten
to withhold highway funding and the states
always fall right into line.
Ed Huntress
2015-01-28 14:05:25 UTC
Post by Scout
What we see is a growing trend of telling an overly large and abusive
central government that we're not taking their bullshit anymore.
We've heard that before.
Lefty gummint lackeys always bring up the civil war as if it means you
must give in to any order the Federal government issues. "Proved States
can't secede from the union" it is averred. Which is, no surprise,
totally false. What the civil war established was that a handful (even
half) of the states can't secede. But the authority for ALL states to
secede is right in the Declaration of Independence.
So the KEY is for ALL states to secede from the so-called union and
reestablish themselves under the old constitution and first 13
Amendments (no slavery, but public debt WILL be questioned!)
Uh, Einstein, if all the states want to "secede," all they have to do
is amend the Constitution by repealing the amendments they don't like.
It takes 2/3 of them to call for a convention and 3/4 to pass it. See
Article V of the Constitution.
Post by benj
I will know that we are winning once I start seeing conservative blacks
with Confederate battle flag license plates on their cars symbolizing
this secession and return to freedom.
Keep your binoculars handy to watch for those license plates.
Post by benj
What republicans and the civil war symbolize can be seen in the relief
in the Soldiers and Sailors Monument in Cleveland Ohio. In that monument
it shows a black man, a slave, and his arm and leg irons are being taken
away and he is being handed a gun!
'Sounds like Chicago on a Saturday night.
Post by benj
THAT idea is what libs are desperately fighting! They want to maintain
slavery through economic dependence and disarm ALL citizens but
especially the honest black ones.
If the libs succeed in maintaining slavery, I want to see Tea Partiers
picking cotton. That would be a sight.
Ed Huntress
Gunner Asch
2015-01-28 18:31:33 UTC
Post by benj
I will know that we are winning once I start seeing conservative blacks
with Confederate battle flag license plates on their cars symbolizing
this secession and return to freedom.
Like this?

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/140749/zachary-karabell/misleading
-indicators

I know more than one black conservative who displays the Confederate
Battle flag with pride.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Rudy Canoza
2015-01-29 17:35:49 UTC
Post by Gunner Asch
Post by benj
I will know that we are winning once I start seeing conservative blacks
with Confederate battle flag license plates on their cars symbolizing
this secession and return to freedom.
Like this?
http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/140749/zachary-karabell/misleading-indicators
Nothing to do with the topic, gummer.
--
I ceased in the year 1764 to believe that one can convince one’s
opponents with arguments printed in books. It is not to do that,

Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
1742 - 1799
Scout
2015-01-29 07:09:26 UTC
Post by Ed Huntress
Post by Scout
I suppose they will follow up with Alaska, Oregon and Washington States?
Not likely.
Why not? They have nullified federal laws so based on what you say above
shouldn't the federal government be moving in to burn those states to the
ground?
Post by Ed Huntress
Post by Scout
Add in SC and you're telling us that the US government is planning to lay
waste to 10% of our states?
I'm not telling you they're planning to lay waste to anything.
Ah, so you're telling us the answer to your questions is 'No, they won't'?
Post by Ed Huntress
Post by Scout
What we see is a growing trend of telling an overly large and abusive
central government that we're not taking their bullshit anymore.
We've heard that before.
Yea, and more and more states are telling the federal government where to
stick it.
Gunner Asch
2015-01-29 10:36:12 UTC
Post by Ed Huntress
Post by Scout
What we see is a growing trend of telling an overly large and abusive
central government that we're not taking their bullshit anymore.
We've heard that before.
Yea, and more and more states are telling the federal government where to
stick it.
And it aint where the sun shines.

Pot laws are another example of states telling the Feds to pound sand.

Many states now have little or no laws against the use of pot. Federal
law is quite different. Including "cultivation"

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
pyotr filipivich
2015-01-29 15:24:46 UTC
Post by Gunner Asch
Post by Scout
Post by Ed Huntress
We've heard that before.
Yea, and more and more states are telling the federal government where to
stick it.
And it aint where the sun shines.
Pot laws are another example of states telling the Feds to pound sand.
Many states now have little or no laws against the use of pot. Federal
law is quite different. Including "cultivation"
Which means that the United States Government is in violation of a
number of treaties it signed, regarding "Drugs" - which include weed.
--
pyotr filipivich
The fears of one class of men are not the measure of the rights of another.
-- George Bancroft
Ed Huntress
2015-01-29 15:51:14 UTC
On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 07:24:46 -0800, pyotr filipivich
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Gunner Asch
Post by Scout
Post by Ed Huntress
We've heard that before.
Yea, and more and more states are telling the federal government where to
stick it.
And it aint where the sun shines.
Pot laws are another example of states telling the Feds to pound sand.
Many states now have little or no laws against the use of pot. Federal
law is quite different. Including "cultivation"
Which means that the United States Government is in violation of a
number of treaties it signed, regarding "Drugs" - which include weed.
--
pyotr filipivich
Yes and no. If our federal government legalizes marijuana, we'll be in
violation of international treaties. But the states didn't sign the
treaties.

We're in legal limbo right now because the federal laws are still on
the books. A couple of the signatories say that failing to enforce
them puts us in violation. But our legal system gives prosecutors WIDE
discretion about what to charge and what to enforce (something that
John Boehner, with his BA in business administration, and with no law
background, apparently hasn't learned).

For now, we just brush off the complaints. We'll see if the feds take
any further legal action, or if Congress legalizes pot and decides to
deal with the breach, or if they have to rescind or withdraw from the
treaty.
Ed Huntress
Scout
2015-01-29 17:45:06 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Gunner Asch
Post by Scout
Post by Ed Huntress
We've heard that before.
Yea, and more and more states are telling the federal government where to
stick it.
And it aint where the sun shines.
Pot laws are another example of states telling the Feds to pound sand.
Many states now have little or no laws against the use of pot. Federal
law is quite different. Including "cultivation"
Which means that the United States Government is in violation of a
number of treaties it signed, regarding "Drugs" - which include weed.
Can't be in violation of a power they were never granted.

Please note. It took a Constitutional Amendment to grant the federal
government the power to prohibit alcohol.

Exactly what part of the Constitution grants a similar power to the prohibit
these drugs?

After all....Thomas Jefferson grew the stuff. Are you really telling me he
was acting contrary to the Constitution?
pyotr filipivich
2015-01-30 07:20:54 UTC
Post by Scout
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Gunner Asch
Post by Scout
Post by Ed Huntress
We've heard that before.
Yea, and more and more states are telling the federal government where to
stick it.
And it aint where the sun shines.
Pot laws are another example of states telling the Feds to pound sand.
Many states now have little or no laws against the use of pot. Federal
law is quite different. Including "cultivation"
Which means that the United States Government is in violation of a
number of treaties it signed, regarding "Drugs" - which include weed.
Can't be in violation of a power they were never granted.
So what. In case you missed it, the Powers That Be may not have
the Right, but they do have the power.
Post by Scout
Please note. It took a Constitutional Amendment to grant the federal
government the power to prohibit alcohol.
Exactly what part of the Constitution grants a similar power to the prohibit
these drugs?
After all....Thomas Jefferson grew the stuff. Are you really telling me he
was acting contrary to the Constitution?
Forty two, except in Pomona.

There were a number of international treaties signed "between the
wars" to prohibit the unregulated sale of several compounds on what is
known as Schedule One, the ones without a valid medicinal purpose.
Those laws are still in effect.
-- George Bancroft
David J. Hughes
2015-01-30 17:13:36 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Scout
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Gunner Asch
Post by Scout
Please note. It took a Constitutional Amendment to grant the federal
government the power to prohibit alcohol.
Exactly what part of the Constitution grants a similar power to the prohibit
these drugs?
After all....Thomas Jefferson grew the stuff. Are you really telling me he
was acting contrary to the Constitution?
Forty two, except in Pomona.
There were a number of international treaties signed "between the
wars" to prohibit the unregulated sale of several compounds on what is
known as Schedule One, the ones without a valid medicinal purpose.
Those laws are still in effect.
--
pyotr filipivich
The fears of one class of men are not the measure of the rights of another.
-- George Bancroft
Since Marijuana has hundreds of valid medical purposes, remove it from
the Schedule I and Schedule IV lists and put it on the Schedule II list.
That only takes an FDA ruling Then there is no longer a conflict with
any treaties.

Ed Huntress
2015-01-29 13:06:01 UTC
Post by raykeller
http://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2015/01/mississippi-legislation-declares-all-federal-gun-control-unconstitutional/
Mississippi Legislation Declares All Federal Gun Control
Unconstitutional
<snip>
I wonder which lesson Mississippi learned from the Nullification Acts
and the Civil War? That attempting to nullify federal laws will get
your state burned to the ground, like South Carolina was, or that
getting burned to the ground might be the best thing that ever happend
to Mississippi?
So tell us, when exactly does the federal government plan to burn Colorado
to the ground?
What makes you think they're planning to do that?
" That attempting to nullify federal laws will get your state burned to the
ground....."
Yes, and? Do you think they took the proper lesson?
Post by Scout
Post by Ed Huntress
Post by Scout
I suppose they will follow up with Alaska, Oregon and Washington States?
Not likely.
Why not? They have nullified federal laws so based on what you say above
shouldn't the federal government be moving in to burn those states to the
ground?
I didn't say that. You said that.
Post by Scout
Post by Ed Huntress
Post by Scout
Add in SC and you're telling us that the US government is planning to lay
waste to 10% of our states?
I'm not telling you they're planning to lay waste to anything.
Ah, so you're telling us the answer to your questions is 'No, they won't'?
I'm not drawing any conclusions. I'm just asking what lessons
Mississippi drew from previous examples.
Post by Scout
Post by Ed Huntress
Post by Scout
What we see is a growing trend of telling an overly large and abusive
central government that we're not taking their bullshit anymore.
We've heard that before.
Yea, and more and more states are telling the federal government where to
stick it.
Actually, it's just been a few -- a lot like what happened before the
Civil War.
Ed Huntress
CanopyCo
2015-01-29 14:13:39 UTC
Post by Scout
Post by Scout
Post by Scout
Post by Ed Huntress
Post by Scout
What we see is a growing trend of telling an overly large and abusive
central government that we're not taking their bullshit anymore.
We've heard that before.
Yea, and more and more states are telling the federal government where to
stick it.
Actually, it's just been a few -- a lot like what happened before the
Civil War.
--
Ed Huntress
Let's see, 23 out of 50.
2 short of half (50%).
I don't think the civil war states were quite that high a percentage at that time.

And that number is growing, not shrinking.
None of the states that have adopted medical marijuana laws are seriously considering killing that cash cow.
Scout
2015-01-29 17:46:46 UTC
Post by raykeller
[...]
Apparently not the one you claim, since here we are with so many states
openly defying federal law.

Further it's only expected to continue and grow with some projections that
at least 18 states will be doing so by 2020
Ed Huntress
2015-01-29 17:56:06 UTC
Post by raykeller
[...]
Why would that lead to them not taking that lesson?
Post by Scout
Further it's only expected to continue and grow with some projections that
at least 18 states will be doing so by 2020
<shrug> By that time, Congress probably will change the law. That is,
if the current experiments don't show a big downside.

So far, no one is saying they will arrest federal officials who try to
enforce the federal law. The subject of this thread -- Mississippi's
bill that would block federal enforcement on gun control issues -- is
a very different thing.
Ed Huntress
Scout
2015-01-29 18:08:57 UTC
Post by Scout
Further it's only expected to continue and grow with some projections that
at least 18 states will be doing so by 2020
<shrug> By that time, Congress probably will change the law.
Hmmm.. So what you're telling me is that there will be no consequences of
openly denying federal law....other than you get what you want.

So why should the states give any consideration to federal law then?
Ed Huntress
2015-01-29 18:39:32 UTC
Post by Scout
Further it's only expected to continue and grow with some projections that
at least 18 states will be doing so by 2020
<shrug> By that time, Congress probably will change the law.
Hmmm.. So what you're telling me is that there will be no consequences of
openly denying federal law....other than you get what you want.
Sometimes yes, and sometimes you get your cities and farms burned to
the ground. It depends.
Post by Scout
So why should the states give any consideration to federal law then?
Because it can get very expensive not to.
Ed Huntress
Scout
2015-01-30 05:52:39 UTC
Post by Scout
So why should the states give any consideration to federal law then?
Because it can get very expensive not to.
Yet you told us that they aren't going to do that. Are you changing your
mind now?
Ed Huntress
2015-01-30 12:40:04 UTC
Post by Scout
So why should the states give any consideration to federal law then?
Because it can get very expensive not to.
Yet you told us that they aren't going to do that. Are you changing your
mind now?
I didn't tell you whether they would or wouldn't. I've commented only
about what's possible and what's likely.

You're amking most of this narrative up as you go, Scout, and putting
words in my mouth.
Ed Huntress
CanopyCo
2015-01-30 15:29:26 UTC
Post by Ed Huntress
<shrug> By that time, Congress probably will change the law. That is,
if the current experiments don't show a big downside.
So far, no one is saying they will arrest federal officials who try to
enforce the federal law. The subject of this thread -- Mississippi's
bill that would block federal enforcement on gun control issues -- is
a very different thing.
--
Ed Huntress
Good point.
That is the weasel room that got CA medical pot in a bind back when it first started.

However, based on the article in question, it appears that you are wrong in this case.

The first line states that the law states that it is a express duty of the state to protect their citizens against federal measures.

And that it declares all such federal laws null and void.
Thus attempting to arrest someone for not breaking a law is kidnapping and again gets the feds blocked.

In fact, down in the gray block it clearly states that it shall be the duty of the legislature of this state to adopt and enact any and all measures as may be necessary to prevent the enforcement of an federal acts, laws, orders, rules or regulations in violation of the second amendment.

We will see what we see when we see it on this deal.
The smart thing for the feds to do is simply nullify all federal laws regarding marijuana and let the states deal with it.

Hopefully that will be Obama's parting flip off to the self righteous flockers, similar to when he made them take down all their religious shit in the government buildings.
Just Wondering
2015-01-29 20:26:49 UTC
Post by raykeller
[...]
In all fairness, it isn't nullifying a federal statute when a state
decides it won't use its resources to enforce it. It just means that if
the federal government wants the statute enforced, it will have to
enforce the statute itself.
CanopyCo
2015-01-28 13:57:25 UTC
Post by raykeller
[...]
Didn't need to burn them to the ground.
What they did was arrest all the doctors, distributers, and patents in California for illegal drug use and distribution.
Ruined a lot of lives that year.

But the feds don't really give a crap about pot anymore.
And a lot of voters are bitching about that law.

This president has been tolerating it pretty well, so the states are all getting away with it.
When Obama goes out the door, if we get a prick that is all death on drugs to replace him then all bets are off.
Unless Obama repeals the federal pot law, then it is just by the grace of the present at that time president that the states will continue to be allowed to smoke.

That is the main reason that I haven't moved and gotten my medical card yet.
At one time that was used to round up all the users and many of those that didn't disapprove of it.
Just like many fear the gun laws will do some day.

Now, on the other hand, we have the gun laws.
A lot of voters are afraid of the idea that you may be able to go down to the store and buy a 20 mm full auto Gatling gun.
They're afraid that you may use it to blast the doors off their bank vault.
;-)
Don
2015-01-28 15:09:09 UTC
Post by CanopyCo
Post by raykeller
[...]
All boils down to whether feds will dictate laws, pretty much as Obama
needs to actualize his "community organizer" agenda. He will continue
his "in your face" posture to congress, just going on presidential
powers he has through his appointments to branches of government and
use of Executive Orders.

Add it up, and it looks like about what a socialist regime can achieve
toward giving wealth to the lower class.

Congress has abdicated its constitutional responsibilities, especially
allowing Bush to carry on undeclared wars, so I think it's doubtfull
anything will be done about Obamacare, the banking frauds, IRS
investigation, Bengazi, the list of damaging debacles goes on as U.S.
kicks the 18 T debt down the road.

Only chance the country has, it seems, is for the states to assert
legal and moral rights. States' Rights, like it spells out in the
Constitution. Pathetic how states have accepted free federal money to
set up Obamacare centers. Same old scam of feds giving free money in
exchange for legal leverage.

Was once a post-WW-II time when feds were in a tight budgetary
predicament, and some states were offering to help by sharing their
wealth. Now states should get a stiff back and chip on the shoulder
for being over-ridden by the feds, IMO.

How sloppy and silly the broadcasters seem, while the slimeballs in
suits walk the corridors of their burning capitol, while Obama plays
his cards.
David J. Hughes
The ammo used would cost more than what you would find in the vault.
CanopyCo
2015-01-29 14:00:44 UTC
Post by David J. Hughes
Post by CanopyCo
Post by raykeller
[...]
And they would use the Gatling to steel that too.
;-)
BeamMeUpScotty
2015-01-28 17:15:44 UTC
Post by raykeller
http://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2015/01/mississippi-legislation-declares-all-federal-gun-control-unconstitutional/
Mississippi Legislation Declares All Federal Gun Control Unconstitutional
Two bills filed in the Mississippi House and Senate would make it an express
duty of the state government to protect the gun rights of Mississippians
against federal gun control measures.
That would make them a government "for the people"
Post by raykeller
House Bill 1297 (HB1297) was filed by Rep. Staples last week. It declares
â?oAll federal acts, laws, orders, rules or regulations regarding firearms
are a violation of the Second Amendment.�
In other words, as the Founders understood, the federal government has no
authority over firearms, period.
The bill goes on to declare that all such federal acts are â?oinvalid in
this state, shall not be recognized by this state, are specifically rejected
by this state, and shall be considered null and void and of no effect in
this state.�
Like Marijuana in California?