Found An Interesting Flashlight
strabo
2007-09-24 22:32:39 UTC
At Walgreens, an aluminum 3 "AA" with 4 white LEDs
for $5.99. More light output than a single bulb.

Well designed; good fit and finish; water tight;
performs as advertised.

I like it.

Stormin Mormon
2007-09-25 00:02:10 UTC
Harbor Fright has been selling LED lights that take 3 AA cells. Is this one
colored, or bare aluminum? How's the switch? Does it feel dependable?

Is the light white, or the blue fog common to LED?

Is the light long and slender, or short and fat?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
:
:
strabo
2007-09-25 02:26:30 UTC
Post by Stormin Mormon
Harbor Fright has been selling LED lights that take 3 AA cells. Is this one
colored, or bare aluminum? How's the switch? Does it feel dependable?
Is the light white, or the blue fog common to LED?
Is the light long and slender, or short and fat?
Power: 3 "AA" inline
Configuration: Cylindrical
Material: Aluminum
LEDs: (4) board mounted White (slight blueish tint)
Body Color: Black
Switch: Twist Head
Performance: Excellent

Stormin Mormon
2007-09-25 02:52:10 UTC
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100417&navAction=jump&navCount=3&id=prod2274218

Well, if two million candle power is enough, only thirty bucks. Six volt
rechargable battery with two chargers. I bet the run time isn't all that
much, but at two mega candles, who cares?
--
.
.
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 03:27:40 UTC
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:52:10 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
Post by Stormin Mormon
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100417&navAction=jump&navCount=3&id=prod2274218
Well, if two million candle power is enough, only thirty bucks. Six volt
rechargable battery with two chargers. I bet the run time isn't all that
much, but at two mega candles, who cares?
There might be a law against *blinding* anyone inadvertently with that
(for example, somebody driving a car that you *flash* by accident).

Lg
Myal
Lg Good to see you alive and kickicking mate :)
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 04:22:14 UTC
Post by Stormin Mormon
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100417&navAction=jump&navCount=3&id=prod2274218
Well, if two million candle power is enough, only thirty bucks. Six volt
rechargable battery with two chargers. I bet the run time isn't all that
much, but at two mega candles, who cares?
There might be a law against *blinding* anyone inadvertently with that
(for example, somebody driving a car that you *flash* by accident).
Lg
Lg Good to see you alive and kickicking mate :)
Another close call by the world's most reluctant adventurer. What's
next? Falling out of an airplane without a parachute? no...let's not
go there. Last time I tried a stunt like that I hurt all over for a
year.

Lg
not the moderator
Do like the Blacks, wear sunglasses at night.
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 09:29:51 UTC
Post by Stormin Mormon
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100417&navAction=jump&navCount=3&id=prod2274218
Well, if two million candle power is enough, only thirty bucks. Six volt
rechargable battery with two chargers. I bet the run time isn't all that
much, but at two mega candles, who cares?
There might be a law against *blinding* anyone inadvertently with that
(for example, somebody driving a car that you *flash* by accident).
Lg
Do like the Blacks, wear sunglasses at night.
I did when I was younger on long hauls, to cut down on eye fatigue at
night while on interstates. Bad idea I know.
Ray Keller
2007-09-25 13:54:56 UTC
Welcome back
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 14:26:43 UTC
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 06:54:56 -0700, "Ray Keller"
Post by Jerry
Welcome back
Hi Ray. Thank You. I wondered what I would find when I returned to
the n/g. My thinking was politics and more politics. I wasn't far
off.

Each of us will face trial by fire some day. Collectively and
individually. Some of us will survive the ordeals, some won't. In
the end, we're all dust anyhow.

I hope you're in good health, Ray, and things or OK at your ranch.

On the topic of flashlights, I think my personal fetish with them
harkens back to the days of being left home alone when my dad went
away on military business. I was way young, and took a liking to
being able to see in the dark. To this day, I'm still that way to
some degree. I carry an Inova on my belt _always_. And have moved
over to all LED except for my 1 million candlepower emergency light,
which gets deployed when the indians start coming over the walls.

I also have a leatherman wave on my belt 24/7, and a box cutter with
razor, as well as a cell phone. I'm thinking of adding a magnesium
bar and flint as soon as I can find something to put it in besides my
pocket. I have practiced the fine art of starting fires from what's
available when my lighter runs out of fuel, using a cookie sheet for
the testing bed.

Not much need for that here in an urban environment, but I still live
by the Boy Scout Motto of decades gone: Be Prepared.

Lg
Ray Keller
2007-09-26 15:14:54 UTC
Post by Jerry
Welcome back
Hi Ray. Thank You. I wondered what I would find when I returned to
the n/g. My thinking was politics and more politics. I wasn't far
off.
Each of us will face trial by fire some day. Collectively and
individually. Some of us will survive the ordeals, some won't. In
the end, we're all dust anyhow.
I hope you're in good health, Ray, and things or OK at your ranch.
Pretty good
Post by Lawrence Glickman
On the topic of flashlights, I think my personal fetish with them
harkens back to the days of being left home alone when my dad went
away on military business. I was way young, and took a liking to
being able to see in the dark. To this day, I'm still that way to
some degree. I carry an Inova on my belt _always_. And have moved
over to all LED except for my 1 million candlepower emergency light,
which gets deployed when the indians start coming over the walls.
I bought the AA minimag LED...I realy like it! 3 Watt output

After trying a couple others went with the Mag LED adapter for the D cell
maglights
When the batterys get to low to run it it shuts down entirely They do not
fade like an incandescent, it takes a little getting used to.
The voltage is regulated in the base of the lamp.
I still cary the gertber 600 blunt nose pliers and a shrade stockman knife
in my pocket.
I still smoke so fire is not an issue.
Lg
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-26 16:30:48 UTC
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 08:14:54 -0700, "Ray Keller"
Post by Ray Keller
Post by Lawrence Glickman
I hope you're in good health, Ray, and things or OK at your ranch.
Pretty good
Glad to hear that.
Post by Ray Keller
Post by Lawrence Glickman
On the topic of flashlights, I think my personal fetish with them
harkens back to the days of being left home alone when my dad went
away on military business. I was way young, and took a liking to
being able to see in the dark. To this day, I'm still that way to
some degree. I carry an Inova on my belt _always_. And have moved
over to all LED except for my 1 million candlepower emergency light,
which gets deployed when the indians start coming over the walls.
I bought the AA minimag LED...I realy like it! 3 Watt output
3 watts is way nice.
Post by Ray Keller
After trying a couple others went with the Mag LED adapter for the D cell
maglights
When the batterys get to low to run it it shuts down entirely They do not
fade like an incandescent, it takes a little getting used to.
Strange coincidence. My 3 watt Ray O vac does the same thing. Just
turned off with no warning or dimming. I thought the led blew out,
but I just put fresh-charged batteries in it and it was back to
normal. To save the customer from a heart attack, they ought to
mention that will happen somewhere on the package.
Post by Ray Keller
The voltage is regulated in the base of the lamp.
I still cary the gertber 600 blunt nose pliers and a shrade stockman knife
in my pocket.
I still smoke so fire is not an issue.
Me too. In fact, looking at the reality of my situation, I can't
foresee having to make a fire anywhere, but you never know. Take that
guy in the Northwest, Kim, who got stranded in a snowstorm in the
mountains on the way to the coast.

It is a good skill to keep honed IMO. After shelter and food, a fire
can keep you from becoming hypothermic and dying. Not to mention it
can sterilize your drinking water.

So I have my lighter, but that can break, run out of fuel, etc etc.
And here is an experiment I did. Take a bick lighter and dunk it in
some water. Until it is completely dry, the flint won't work!

Lg
Retief
2007-10-01 04:14:39 UTC
Post by Ray Keller
I bought the AA minimag LED...I realy like it! 3 Watt output
After trying a couple others went with the Mag LED adapter for the D cell
maglights
When the batterys get to low to run it it shuts down entirely They do not
fade like an incandescent, it takes a little getting used to.
Y'know, I had a big D-Cell Maglite with the 3W LED in it, and noticed
that it didn't seem as bright as it should be. Pulled the batteries,
and tried them in an incandescent Maglite -- they would barely light
the standard bulb. The light from the LED was still quite usable (it
was just not _blinding_, as I expected)

Retief
Stormin Mormon
2007-09-25 02:53:00 UTC
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100417&navAction=jump&navCount=0&id=prod3252445

Ten bucks, six LED and takes C cells. I remember when C cell LED lights were
thirty bucks.
--
.
.
Stormin Mormon
2007-09-25 02:53:58 UTC
Walgreens again. crank light with cell phone charger. Ten bucks. Something
similar is about $15 at Walmart.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=304723&navAction=jump&navCount=0&id=prod3252642#
--
.
.
Stormin Mormon
2007-09-25 02:58:11 UTC
You got one, too?

Sounds like a good light for backpack, or around the house. Or belt carry.
Three inline AA cells makes for a bit too long for pocket.

I went through the Walgreens web site for flashlights, and didn't find the
2AA light with four LED. Wonder what's with that?
--
.
: Stormin Mormon wrote:
: > Harbor Fright has been selling LED lights that take 3 AA cells. Is this
one
: > colored, or bare aluminum? How's the switch? Does it feel dependable?
: >
: > Is the light white, or the blue fog common to LED?
: >
: > Is the light long and slender, or short and fat?
: >
:
: Power: 3 "AA" inline
: Configuration: Cylindrical
: Material: Aluminum
: LEDs: (4) board mounted White (slight blueish tint)
: Body Color: Black
: Switch: Twist Head
: Performance: Excellent
:
:
News==----
: http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
Newsgroups
: ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
=----
strabo
2007-09-25 04:51:18 UTC
Post by Stormin Mormon
You got one, too?
Sounds like a good light for backpack, or around the house. Or belt carry.
Three inline AA cells makes for a bit too long for pocket.
Yes. Needs a belt holder or cargo pocket. Would work well for cops
or security guards.

I tricked mine out by reconfiguring the tail cap with an
'ON/OFF' switch. Just tighten the head in the 'ON' position.
That way it can easily be operated with one hand and thumb
the switch on or off.
Post by Stormin Mormon
I went through the Walgreens web site for flashlights, and didn't find the
2AA light with four LED. Wonder what's with that?
I dunno.

Winston_Smith
2007-09-25 03:55:36 UTC
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 20:02:10 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
Post by Stormin Mormon
Harbor Fright has been selling LED lights that take 3 AA cells. Is this one
colored, or bare aluminum? How's the switch? Does it feel dependable?
Just FYI, pretty much every white LED flashlight I have ever seen uses
three cells (4.5 V) of one size or another. I guess I should limit
that to the brighter ones because I have an older little Photon
keychain blob that runs on a 3V watch battery.
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 00:44:15 UTC
Post by strabo
At Walgreens, an aluminum 3 "AA" with 4 white LEDs
for $5.99. More light output than a single bulb.
Well designed; good fit and finish; water tight;
performs as advertised.
I like it.
Okay. I'm bionic now. I have a computer in my chest now that takes
over my heartbeat when something goes amiss. The stent was $46,000
and the device (ICD/pacemaker) was...$41,000. a bargain. LAD artery
was closed off. somewhat better at the moment.

You said the magic word froggy. Flashlight. Plunk your magic
twanger.

I bought a 3 watt RayOvac 2 AA cell at Wally World and it's great.
Runs long time on 2 AA Nimh. Lots of light. I tossed my Streamlight
into the trashbin because the silver in the reflector was peeling off.
Junk. I wonder _why_ it was peeling off. Dropped too many times?

Then I got a great little light that has 4 light emitting diodes
inside a square diffuser. $8 and it runs 120 hours (they say) on 4 AA
cells at low intensity, and I presume 1/2 that time at full intensity.
It's a good area light so you can see what is where, but is more of a
nightlight than anything for serious work.

Now the interesting experiment.
I bought a 3 watt *Mag light upgrade* LED at Target. My mistake. I
got the 2 cell version. Doesn't fit anything but a Maglite and I just
had a 3 cell and a 4 cell flashlight. That upgrade LED promised 3
watts with 3 volts, but I measured it and it only delivered 2 watts
with 2 cells. So I put the LED in my 3 cell and it is putting out 4
watts now instead of the advertised 3. Multimeters are good. I took
it outside at night and it blows away a Xenon bulb. Hard to believe.
I don't know how long the LED will last pushing it at 4 instead of 3
watts, but don't care at the moment. It puts out a spot light that
goes amazingly far. You can't look at the led as it is blinding at
any time of day when turned on.

The interesting thing is that the 4 watt (measured) 2 cell upgrade in
the 3 cell flashlight blows away the 3 watt RayOvac I bought. Makes
it look like it isn't even turned on. Don't know why. Maybe the 3
watt RayOvac isn't putting out a full 3 watts ... I'll have to measure
it sooner or later.

On another note, I've got my =own= cable modem now and am back on the
air after my multiple surgeries and so forth. I had to stay in the
hospital on radio telemetry after an episode of 36 V-tachs in a row.
They told me if I went home to wait for the anticoagulant for the
stent wore off (necessary before the operation for the ICD ) that I
might not be alive to come back. That's what shot the bill up. Semi
private room on radio telemetry in ICU is $1,865 for a bed. For that
price, they really should have thrown in some dancing girls and fresh
broiled lobster !

My battery will need to be replaced, but it has a warning beep, and I
shouldn't hear that for anywhere from 4 to 7 or more years, depending
on the work load put on the power supply. IOW, the more work it needs
to do, the sooner it will need to be replaced. I was awake when they
sliced me open, but told the anesthesiologist to put me to sleep for
the shocks (they fibrillate the ventricles to see if the ICD restores
normal rhythm via a rather big jolt).

But the nice thing is, it gives very small electrical signals first,
and works its' way along to a higher and higher level until it
captures the myocardial tissue and takes over the heartbeat. Most of
the time, you don't even know it is working. I haven't had to have a
jolt yet, although I was told I had 3 V-tachs in a row and the
pacemaker part of the device stopped it in its tracks.

I'm a lucky guy. Looks like I'll be around for my 62nd birthday in a
few days.

Lg
Jerry
2007-09-25 01:16:59 UTC
Welcome back Larry! We missed you around here.
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 01:18:59 UTC
Post by Jerry
Post by Lawrence Glickman
I'm a lucky guy. Looks like I'll be around for my 62nd birthday in a
few days.
Welcome back Larry! We missed you around here.
Thanks Jerry! I was kept *captive* in the hospital because they have
those defibrillator paddles right next to my bed. But man was it
boring!

Lg
Jerry
2007-09-25 01:34:53 UTC
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Post by Jerry
Post by Lawrence Glickman
I'm a lucky guy. Looks like I'll be around for my 62nd birthday in a
few days.
Welcome back Larry! We missed you around here.
Thanks Jerry! I was kept *captive* in the hospital because they have
those defibrillator paddles right next to my bed. But man was it
boring!
Lg
Knowing you, reading the specs off of the nameplate probably killed some of
the boredom. If you had your own AED, they might have let you out earlier. I
hope you stick around for a long time.
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 02:07:47 UTC
Post by Jerry
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Post by Jerry
Post by Lawrence Glickman
I'm a lucky guy. Looks like I'll be around for my 62nd birthday in a
few days.
Welcome back Larry! We missed you around here.
Thanks Jerry! I was kept *captive* in the hospital because they have
those defibrillator paddles right next to my bed. But man was it
boring!
Lg
Knowing you, reading the specs off of the nameplate probably killed some of
the boredom. If you had your own AED, they might have let you out earlier. I
hope you stick around for a long time.
Problem is...when the heart stops pumping blood to the brain, you're
unconscious in 3 seconds, and dead in 3 minutes. If somebody isn't
around to use the device for you, that's the end of the movie.

Thanks for the good wishes. I have a real guardian angel looking
after me now while I sleep...24/7/365

It's odd to think about though. I was an athlete when I was younger.
Now I'm living off a machine (portable as it is). Something went
wrong somewhere, and I think it is genetic in origin. My father had
problems like this.

Lg
To _Your_ Good Health !
Bart Bailey
2007-09-25 02:35:35 UTC
In Message-ID:<***@4ax.com> posted on
2008 is a leap year
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 03:04:34 UTC
Post by Lawrence Glickman
I have a real guardian angel looking
after me now while I sleep...24/7/365
2008 is a leap year
That is most likely already programmed into my ICD/Pacemaker. I think
even my Casio Atomic Watch *knows* that, but will have to wait and
see? Or I can make it think today is February 28, 2008 and find out,
but that will take the mystery out of it ;-)

Lg
Bart Bailey
2007-09-25 04:11:29 UTC
In Message-ID:<***@4ax.com> posted on
Post by Lawrence Glickman
I have a real guardian angel looking
after me now while I sleep...24/7/365
2008 is a leap year
That is most likely already programmed into my ICD/Pacemaker. I think
even my Casio Atomic Watch *knows* that, but will have to wait and
see? Or I can make it think today is February 28, 2008 and find out,
but that will take the mystery out of it ;-)
Lg
I was referring to your angel that only works 365,
and what happens on that extra day?
maybe if give her a nifty LED torch
she'll put in the overtime. <g>
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 04:26:10 UTC
Post by Lawrence Glickman
I have a real guardian angel looking
after me now while I sleep...24/7/365
2008 is a leap year
That is most likely already programmed into my ICD/Pacemaker. I think
even my Casio Atomic Watch *knows* that, but will have to wait and
see? Or I can make it think today is February 28, 2008 and find out,
but that will take the mystery out of it ;-)
Lg
I was referring to your angel that only works 365,
and what happens on that extra day?
maybe if give her a nifty LED torch
she'll put in the overtime. <g>
Actually there is a built-in Event Recorder that time/date stamps the
arrhythmia and the therapy shocks that can be downloaded at any
Medtronic computer designed for this purpose. So really, yes I
believe that there is a February 29, 2008 in the programming
somewhere.

My Angel? I could tell you stories but you wouldn't believe me. Most
of the time I'm home, I'm surrounded by them. Many times I meet them
in the street or at hospital. So if Angels are _real_, that implies
something rather profound.

Lg
t***@hotmail.com
2007-09-25 03:33:12 UTC
Glad to see your back,I was just about to post "WHERE'S LAWRENCE?"

I was worried about what the response was going to be.

Couple more operations like this and we're going to start calling you
"The Six Million Dollar Man".

-----

"Whenever I hear the word "Multiculturalism" I reach for my
Revolver!"

"Don't Taze me Bro'"

Tyreen Blaque
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 03:49:50 UTC
Post by t***@hotmail.com
Glad to see your back,I was just about to post "WHERE'S LAWRENCE?"
I was worried about what the response was going to be.
Couple more operations like this and we're going to start calling you
"The Six Million Dollar Man".
Hey Tyreen! 6 million dollars?!!! Well an associate/friend of mine
has a wife whose bill is about up to $150,000 US right now, and is
expected to go =much= higher as time goes by. I wouldn't wish this on
anybody, but shit happens.

Two Words:
MEDICAL INSURANCE

Now how we're going to get it to those who can't afford the premiums?
Easy. Go South, into Mexico, change your name to Pablo, and pay a
coyote $1500 to get you to El Norte. It's a free ride from there on
in. Only suckers are citizens.

Lg
(sorry for the cynicism, but I am beginning to feel like my old self
again ;-|
Stormin Mormon
2007-09-25 02:32:27 UTC
Intersting flashlight, Jerry.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
http://www.lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrg
http://www.mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/
.
"Jerry" <***@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:***@comcast.com...
:
: "Lawrence Glickman" <***@comcast.net> wrote in message
: news:***@4ax.com...
:
:
Stormin Mormon
2007-09-25 01:32:48 UTC
"Lawrence Glickman" <***@comcast.net> wrote in message news:***@4ax.com...
:
: You said the magic word froggy. Flashlight. Plunk your magic
: twanger.
:
: I bought a 3 watt RayOvac 2 AA cell at Wally World and it's great.
: Runs long time on 2 AA Nimh. Lots of light. I tossed my Streamlight
: into the trashbin because the silver in the reflector was peeling off.
: Junk. I wonder _why_ it was peeling off. Dropped too many times?

CY: How does it compare to a regular mini mag?

:
: Then I got a great little light that has 4 light emitting diodes
: inside a square diffuser. $8 and it runs 120 hours (they say) on 4 AA
: cells at low intensity, and I presume 1/2 that time at full intensity.
: It's a good area light so you can see what is where, but is more of a
: nightlight than anything for serious work.

CY: I saw those. You know, a night light can be useful when the power is
off.

:
: Now the interesting experiment.
: I bought a 3 watt *Mag light upgrade* LED at Target. My mistake. I
: got the 2 cell version. Doesn't fit anything but a Maglite and I just
: had a 3 cell and a 4 cell flashlight.

CY: I've heard that. The Mag upgrade is a different size.

That upgrade LED promised 3
: watts with 3 volts, but I measured it and it only delivered 2 watts
: with 2 cells. So I put the LED in my 3 cell and it is putting out 4
: watts now instead of the advertised 3. Multimeters are good. I took
: it outside at night and it blows away a Xenon bulb. Hard to believe.
: I don't know how long the LED will last pushing it at 4 instead of 3
: watts, but don't care at the moment. It puts out a spot light that
: goes amazingly far. You can't look at the led as it is blinding at
: any time of day when turned on.

CY: I remember hearing that the Mag upgrades are brighter than the off brand
of LED bulb.

:
: The interesting thing is that the 4 watt (measured) 2 cell upgrade in
: the 3 cell flashlight blows away the 3 watt RayOvac I bought. Makes
: it look like it isn't even turned on. Don't know why. Maybe the 3
: watt RayOvac isn't putting out a full 3 watts ... I'll have to measure
: it sooner or later.

CY: Three watts at three volts, should be one ampere draw. Most of the flash
light bulbs I have are 250 ma for the PR-4 and 500 ma for the PR-2. And 750
ma for the Krypton bulbs. At a full amp, its going to eat batteries. 4 watts
in a three cell (4.5 volt) light is essentially one amp.
:
:
: I'm a lucky guy. Looks like I'll be around for my 62nd birthday in a
: few days.

CY: Want a flash light for your birthday? I know; not funny, Chris.

:
: Lg
:
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 02:04:06 UTC
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:32:48 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
Post by Stormin Mormon
: You said the magic word froggy. Flashlight. Plunk your magic
: twanger.
: I bought a 3 watt RayOvac 2 AA cell at Wally World and it's great.
: Runs long time on 2 AA Nimh. Lots of light. I tossed my Streamlight
: into the trashbin because the silver in the reflector was peeling off.
: Junk. I wonder _why_ it was peeling off. Dropped too many times?
CY: How does it compare to a regular mini mag?
Hi CY

You say *regular* mini mag. They now market a 3 watt LED mini mag
that takes 3 AA cells. I thought it was too long and the reflector
too small so I passed on that.

The *regular* mini mag, with the tungsten-filament wheat bulb and 2 AA
cells, PALES in comparison with any of the LED flashlights I have.
The problem with the wheat lights is that they aren't halogen filled,
and the filament evaporates and condenses on the inside of the glass
bulb, FURTHER DIMMING the light output.

I used to use one almost every day on the job, and in retrospect, I'm
glad LED's have taken over a lot of the market. The reason the
Xenon's are bright is because, of course, the Xenon gas carries the
evaporated filament atoms back to the filament to rejoin the circuit,
instead of letting it condense on the inside of the bulb's glass.
Post by Stormin Mormon
: Then I got a great little light that has 4 light emitting diodes
: inside a square diffuser. $8 and it runs 120 hours (they say) on 4 AA
: cells at low intensity, and I presume 1/2 that time at full intensity.
: It's a good area light so you can see what is where, but is more of a
: nightlight than anything for serious work.
CY: I saw those. You know, a night light can be useful when the power is
off.
That's what I had in mind when I bought it. And you don't need a lot
of light at night in a car if you're just parked, running down the
mains battery.
Post by Stormin Mormon
: Now the interesting experiment.
: I bought a 3 watt *Mag light upgrade* LED at Target. My mistake. I
: got the 2 cell version. Doesn't fit anything but a Maglite and I just
: had a 3 cell and a 4 cell flashlight.
CY: I've heard that. The Mag upgrade is a different size.
Yep. They did that because...if you noticed, the bulb holder in the
Maglite is metal and becomes part of the LED's heat sink. In most all
other flashlights, the bulb holder is plastic, and would allow the LED
to overheat and burn out as well as melt the plastic reflector.
Post by Stormin Mormon
That upgrade LED promised 3
: watts with 3 volts, but I measured it and it only delivered 2 watts
: with 2 cells. So I put the LED in my 3 cell and it is putting out 4
: watts now instead of the advertised 3. Multimeters are good. I took
: it outside at night and it blows away a Xenon bulb. Hard to believe.
: I don't know how long the LED will last pushing it at 4 instead of 3
: watts, but don't care at the moment. It puts out a spot light that
: goes amazingly far. You can't look at the led as it is blinding at
: any time of day when turned on.
CY: I remember hearing that the Mag upgrades are brighter than the off brand
of LED bulb.
I've found that the ONLY way to know what is going on is to measure
your voltage and current. Not to "assume" that 1.5 volts is at each
cell. Or *assume* that when it says 3 watts on the package that that
is what you're getting.
Post by Stormin Mormon
: The interesting thing is that the 4 watt (measured) 2 cell upgrade in
: the 3 cell flashlight blows away the 3 watt RayOvac I bought. Makes
: it look like it isn't even turned on. Don't know why. Maybe the 3
: watt RayOvac isn't putting out a full 3 watts ... I'll have to measure
: it sooner or later.
CY: Three watts at three volts, should be one ampere draw. Most of the flash
light bulbs I have are 250 ma for the PR-4 and 500 ma for the PR-2. And 750
ma for the Krypton bulbs. At a full amp, its going to eat batteries. 4 watts
in a three cell (4.5 volt) light is essentially one amp.
Well runtime on D cells isn't a concern of mine. They even have 8 amp
hour batteries in Nimh these days. As long as the LED doesn't blow
from being overdriven, I don't see a problem here.
Post by Stormin Mormon
: I'm a lucky guy. Looks like I'll be around for my 62nd birthday in a
: few days.
CY: Want a flash light for your birthday? I know; not funny, Chris.
My birthday gift this year, is being alive to HAVE a birthday. Gives
one pause to think ;-\

Lg
Stormin Mormon
2007-09-25 02:41:40 UTC
: >: I bought a 3 watt RayOvac 2 AA cell at Wally World and it's great.
: >: Runs long time on 2 AA Nimh. Lots of light. I tossed my Streamlight
: >: into the trashbin because the silver in the reflector was peeling off.
: >: Junk. I wonder _why_ it was peeling off. Dropped too many times?
: >
: >CY: How does it compare to a regular mini mag?
:
: Hi CY
:
: You say *regular* mini mag. They now market a 3 watt LED mini mag
: that takes 3 AA cells. I thought it was too long and the reflector
: too small so I passed on that.

CY: I've been carrying a 2AA minimag in my pocket for years. They now have a
2AA which is about half inch longer. No good....

:
: The *regular* mini mag, with the tungsten-filament wheat bulb and 2 AA
: cells, PALES in comparison with any of the LED flashlights I have.
: The problem with the wheat lights is that they aren't halogen filled,
: and the filament evaporates and condenses on the inside of the glass
: bulb, FURTHER DIMMING the light output.

CY: I've seen that effect. The bulb gets dim by the second change of
batteries, adn finally blows a filament. My Teralux conversion, I really
like. Better than the Opalec or Nite Ize conversion. The 2AA LED mag may be
interesting. Wish they could make it shorter.

:
: I used to use one almost every day on the job, and in retrospect, I'm
: glad LED's have taken over a lot of the market. The reason the
: Xenon's are bright is because, of course, the Xenon gas carries the
: evaporated filament atoms back to the filament to rejoin the circuit,
: instead of letting it condense on the inside of the bulb's glass.

CY: I've heard that about halogen bulbs. You can really volt them up till
they scream all kinds of white light, and then when they cool they go back
to being a tungsten filament again.

:
: >: Then I got a great little light that has 4 light emitting diodes
: >: inside a square diffuser. $8 and it runs 120 hours (they say) on 4 AA
: >: cells at low intensity, and I presume 1/2 that time at full intensity.
: >: It's a good area light so you can see what is where, but is more of a
: >: nightlight than anything for serious work.
: >
: >CY: I saw those. You know, a night light can be useful when the power is
: >off.
:
: That's what I had in mind when I bought it. And you don't need a lot
: of light at night in a car if you're just parked, running down the
: mains battery.

CY: That's also a good idea. It would be good for reading a book at night in
the camper.
:
: >:
: >: Now the interesting experiment.
: >: I bought a 3 watt *Mag light upgrade* LED at Target. My mistake. I
: >: got the 2 cell version. Doesn't fit anything but a Maglite and I just
: >: had a 3 cell and a 4 cell flashlight.
: >
: >CY: I've heard that. The Mag upgrade is a different size.
:
: Yep. They did that because...if you noticed, the bulb holder in the
: Maglite is metal and becomes part of the LED's heat sink. In most all
: other flashlights, the bulb holder is plastic, and would allow the LED
: to overheat and burn out as well as melt the plastic reflector.
CY: Thanks. I'd not known the reson. OK, so the Mag conversion needs a good
heat sink. I'm OK with that idea. At the moment, I don't use my full size
Mag very often. Usually I use a three cell Garrity, for reading house
numbers at night. I'm a mobile service guy. But I seldom do night calls. I
have two Garrity lights, both on the original bulb and batteries. I'd love
to hear about the conversion bulb, if you'll be kind enough to check the amp
draw of the bulb. It sounds like about one full amp.

:
[...]

CY: Easier to measure current. Unscrew the tail cap and use ammeter for a
tail cap. You're right about not being sure it's three watts. I've got a
couple flash lights I should check some time.

:
[...]
CY: I've seen those high cap NiMH, 8 or 9 amp hours. As I mentioned earlier,
I don't use a D-cell Mag often enough to really justify the NiMH cells.
Though, they do look good to have. Harbor freight has D cell nicads at 1500
mA, but those aren't worth the trouble.

:
: >: I'm a lucky guy. Looks like I'll be around for my 62nd birthday in a
: >: few days.
: >
: >CY: Want a flash light for your birthday? I know; not funny, Chris.
:
: My birthday gift this year, is being alive to HAVE a birthday. Gives
: one pause to think ;-\

CY: Yep, I hear that.

:
: Lg
:
Bart Bailey
2007-09-25 04:11:29 UTC
In Message-ID:<46f875b2$0$32466$***@roadrunner.com> posted on Mon,
24 Sep 2007 22:41:40 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote: Begin
Post by Stormin Mormon
CY: I've seen those high cap NiMH, 8 or 9 amp hours. As I mentioned earlier,
I don't use a D-cell Mag often enough to really justify the NiMH cells.
Though, they do look good to have. Harbor freight has D cell nicads at 1500
mA, but those aren't worth the trouble.
If you've got extra 'AA's,
just adapt them to 'D'
http://tinyurl.com/23frsj
Stormin Mormon
2007-09-26 01:57:26 UTC
Seriously good. I can get AA chargers that work in the car. With the size
adaptors, I could power a D cell Mag Light.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
http://www.lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrg
http://www.mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/
.
"Bart Bailey" <***@privacy.net> wrote in message news:***@localhost...
:
:
: If you've got extra 'AA's,
: just adapt them to 'D'
: http://tinyurl.com/23frsj
Bart Bailey
2007-09-26 06:02:41 UTC
In Message-ID:<46f9bcbc$1$32489$***@roadrunner.com> posted on Tue,
25 Sep 2007 21:57:26 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote: Begin
Post by Stormin Mormon
Seriously good. I can get AA chargers that work in the car. With the size
adaptors, I could power a D cell Mag Light.
: http://tinyurl.com/23frsj
And power your "C" stuff too http://tinyurl.com/27v8b3

I don't know if you've got a Fry's nearby,
that's where I got my AA2Ds,
don't have any AA2Cs yet however. http://tinyurl.com/ydqk3h
strabo
2007-09-25 02:40:31 UTC
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Post by strabo
At Walgreens, an aluminum 3 "AA" with 4 white LEDs
for $5.99. More light output than a single bulb.
Well designed; good fit and finish; water tight;
performs as advertised.
I like it.
Okay. I'm bionic now. I have a computer in my chest now that takes
over my heartbeat when something goes amiss. The stent was $46,000
and the device (ICD/pacemaker) was...$41,000. a bargain. LAD artery
was closed off. somewhat better at the moment.
Hi Larry. Good to see you back.
Post by Lawrence Glickman
[...]
So, we just need to get the 2-"D" cell version Maglite LED upgrade and
put it in a 3-cell Maglite, and we can jacklight deer.
Post by Lawrence Glickman
[...]
Call Dick Cheny and compare notes!
Post by Lawrence Glickman
But the nice thing is, it gives very small electrical signals first,
and works its' way along to a higher and higher level until it
captures the myocardial tissue and takes over the heartbeat. Most of
the time, you don't even know it is working. I haven't had to have a
jolt yet, although I was told I had 3 V-tachs in a row and the
pacemaker part of the device stopped it in its tracks.
I'm a lucky guy. Looks like I'll be around for my 62nd birthday in a
few days.
Hey! You now qualify for Social Security.
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Lg
Stormin Mormon
:
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 03:09:20 UTC
Post by strabo
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Post by strabo
At Walgreens, an aluminum 3 "AA" with 4 white LEDs
for $5.99. More light output than a single bulb.
Well designed; good fit and finish; water tight;
performs as advertised.
I like it.
Okay. I'm bionic now. I have a computer in my chest now that takes
over my heartbeat when something goes amiss. The stent was $46,000
and the device (ICD/pacemaker) was...$41,000. a bargain. LAD artery
was closed off. somewhat better at the moment.
Hi Larry. Good to see you back.
Thanks Dude! It is good to be back! After living on the edge of Life
and Death for so long, I feel like I just came back from a freaking
WAR.
Post by strabo
Post by Lawrence Glickman
[...]
Yah, or just look out *yonder* way beyond where a regular light will
go.
Post by strabo
Post by Lawrence Glickman
[...]
Eh...you know, I took Winston's advice and went to the Medtronic
website, and sure enough, there are at least a 1/2 dozen *versions* of
the ICD available for the particular arrhythmia your cardiologist
decides you need protection from. I doubt Cheney had the deadly
V-tach like I do. Only 2 out of every 10,000 have the V-tach.
Post by strabo
Post by Lawrence Glickman
But the nice thing is, it gives very small electrical signals first,
and works its' way along to a higher and higher level until it
captures the myocardial tissue and takes over the heartbeat. Most of
the time, you don't even know it is working. I haven't had to have a
jolt yet, although I was told I had 3 V-tachs in a row and the
pacemaker part of the device stopped it in its tracks.
I'm a lucky guy. Looks like I'll be around for my 62nd birthday in a
few days.
Hey! You now qualify for Social Security.
Now THAT is interesting. I thought you had to wait for 70 something.

Lg
strabo
2007-09-25 04:39:41 UTC
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Post by strabo
Post by strabo
Post by Lawrence Glickman
But the nice thing is, it gives very small electrical signals first,
and works its' way along to a higher and higher level until it
captures the myocardial tissue and takes over the heartbeat. Most of
the time, you don't even know it is working. I haven't had to have a
jolt yet, although I was told I had 3 V-tachs in a row and the
pacemaker part of the device stopped it in its tracks.
I'm a lucky guy. Looks like I'll be around for my 62nd birthday in a
few days.
Hey! You now qualify for Social Security.
Now THAT is interesting. I thought you had to wait for 70 something.
Its prorated age 62 through 70.
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Lg
Gunner Asch
2007-09-25 02:51:45 UTC
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:44:15 -0500, Lawrence Glickman
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Post by strabo
At Walgreens, an aluminum 3 "AA" with 4 white LEDs
for $5.99. More light output than a single bulb.
Well designed; good fit and finish; water tight;
performs as advertised.
I like it.
Okay. I'm bionic now. I have a computer in my chest now that takes
over my heartbeat when something goes amiss. The stent was $46,000
and the device (ICD/pacemaker) was...$41,000. a bargain. LAD artery
was closed off. somewhat better at the moment.
Thank God. I was getting damned worried about your absence.
I was just about ready to start reading the Kaddish.

Damned glad to see you back!!!!!!!!

Gunner
Lg
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 03:18:16 UTC
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Post by strabo
At Walgreens, an aluminum 3 "AA" with 4 white LEDs
for $5.99. More light output than a single bulb.
Well designed; good fit and finish; water tight;
performs as advertised.
I like it.
Okay. I'm bionic now. I have a computer in my chest now that takes
over my heartbeat when something goes amiss. The stent was $46,000
and the device (ICD/pacemaker) was...$41,000. a bargain. LAD artery
was closed off. somewhat better at the moment.
Thank God. I was getting damned worried about your absence.
I was just about ready to start reading the Kaddish.
Damned glad to see you back!!!!!!!!
Gunner
Thanks Gunner. Now I have to wonder what to do for an encore next
June ;-\ In 2006 I went tree diving ( in retrospect, it was probably
a V-tach blackout ), and in 2007 I managed to close off my Left
Descending Anterior artery and almost kill myself with a deadly heart
rhythm. What to do for an encore?

Well, no hurry, June 2008 is a ways away yet.

Lg
Gunner Asch
2007-09-25 04:42:25 UTC
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Post by strabo
[...]
How about a pair of bisexual nymphets?

Im sure after you heal up...the doc will slip you a "little blue pill"
if necessary.
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Well, no hurry, June 2008 is a ways away yet.
Lg
You are too fucking ornery to miss it. And in fact....I suspect you
will see at least 20 more.

Gunner
Winston_Smith
2007-09-25 03:56:04 UTC
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Post by strabo
At Walgreens, an aluminum 3 "AA" with 4 white LEDs
for $5.99. More light output than a single bulb.
Well designed; good fit and finish; water tight;
performs as advertised.
I like it.
Okay. I'm bionic now. I have a computer in my chest now that takes
over my heartbeat when something goes amiss. The stent was $46,000
and the device (ICD/pacemaker) was...$41,000. a bargain. LAD artery
was closed off. somewhat better at the moment.
Hey, hey, hey. You are back. I've been wondering about you. Glad to
hear you have things under control.
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 04:21:01 UTC
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Post by strabo
At Walgreens, an aluminum 3 "AA" with 4 white LEDs
for $5.99. More light output than a single bulb.
Well designed; good fit and finish; water tight;
performs as advertised.
I like it.
Okay. I'm bionic now. I have a computer in my chest now that takes
over my heartbeat when something goes amiss. The stent was $46,000
and the device (ICD/pacemaker) was...$41,000. a bargain. LAD artery
was closed off. somewhat better at the moment.
Hey, hey, hey. You are back. I've been wondering about you. Glad to
hear you have things under control.
Thanks Mr Smith. I did some web research at hospital ( with special
permission...I was only allowed access to medical information
websites, so no posts available to this n/g. You were correct. There
are many different types and styles of ICD. But I'll tell you,
whenever my wife turns on the microwave oven, I have to duck for cover
behind RF-reflecting/absorbing something (metal) and hide from the
Death Rays the goddamn thing puts out. Microwaves can serious f*ck up
the programming in my computer, as the leads going down into my heart
chambers act like receiving antennae.

Once the program is fubared, so am I. Thinking I'm protected when I
am not. That is why I have to visit Cardiologist now and then to have
this checked with special equipment...to be sure everything is working
correctly.

Microwave ovens, high voltage, big transformers, any and every
stinking electromagnetic radiator has become The Enemy. I wonder, can
you make clothes out of aluminum foil that is comfortable to wear?
Even chainsaws with ignition systems that aren't shielded, running car
engines with the hood up ( spark plug wires ), every fucking thing you
can think of, I can add to the list.

Now the mfgr. has gone to great lengths to try to limit the damage
these stray RF fields can do, but remember we are dealing with ONE
HALF A VOLT of electromotive force when the ventricles contract,
putting the sensitivity of the ICD at a threshold that is easily
endangered.

The *capture voltage* for my right ventricle is 1 volt (determined by
electrophysiologists who measure this while you're lying on the slab
in the OR) which is double the firing threshold. IOW, they adjust the
pacemaker to put out twice the capture voltage at the LOW END. At the
high end, there is enough current to blow you out of your chair, from
what I hear, but if you get that, you're probably unconscious already
from fibrillation so you may or may not feel it anyhow. And even if
you do, it has just Saved your Life, so who give a you know what.

My instructions are to get to the ER if I have a big jolt, because
there is a storage Event Memory in the device that holds data for up
to X hours, and I have to go to ER so they can decode what set the ICD
off to begin with. According to my cardiologist.

This is a big deal only if you think being alive is a big deal. Many
don't. I'm undecided about it at times myself ;-)

Lg
strabo

Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 09:28:49 UTC
Post by strabo
<snipped>
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Post by Winston_Smith
[...]
The only warning I am given is to keep the cell phone away from the
device as far as possible. IOW, the ICD is in my upper left chest, so
use the cell phone on my Right Ear not my left ear, which would be
within the threat zone. Anyhow, I use bluetooth with my cell phone,
on outgoing calls anyhow, so I don't know about that, except there IS
a warning, the one I mentioned.

And I have to -carry- the cell phone on the opposite side of my body
as well. Iow on my right side, as far away from the heart as
possible, that being on my belt.

So yes, cell phones, AFAIK any RF transmitters, maybe including Family
Radio Service, CB, things like that...too dangerous to take a chance.

So now I have to become aware of my electrical/Radio frequency
environment. And I cannot have certain Medical Tests anymore. For
example, no more MRI's, no more this and that. Specific tests are
contraindicated because of my implant. There are many, I might post
some tomorrow when I'm more awake.

Security Systems: Manual Scan Only. Can't walk through metal
detectors. That's a big no no. I have been given a card by the mfgr.
listing my name, implants, doctor and tx number, etc showing I have an
implant and need manual scan, not electromagnetic. And if *wand* is
used, has to be used no more than once every 30 seconds over implant
area, and has to be held there only momentarily at most.

I will show Security my implant, as it is sticking out of my left
chest just under the skin, with the cables running through my
subclavian vein down into my heart chamber(s). And the scar looks
like I was in a knife fight, but I don't worry about that. There will
be more scars there when it comes time to change the device for a new
one. They don't replace just the batteries, you get an entirely new
unit, maybe even including the cables if they decide to change those
also while they have you in the OR.

All in all, this is a good thing, and I am willing of course to put up
with some incovenience. The alternative is Glenwood Cemetery.

Lg
Winston_Smith
2007-09-25 05:21:50 UTC
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Okay. I'm bionic now. I have a computer in my chest now that takes
over my heartbeat when something goes amiss. The stent was $46,000
and the device (ICD/pacemaker) was...$41,000. a bargain. LAD artery
was closed off. somewhat better at the moment.
Hey, hey, hey. You are back. I've been wondering about you. Glad to
hear you have things under control.
Thanks Mr Smith. I did some web research at hospital ( with special
permission...I was only allowed access to medical information
websites, so no posts available to this n/g. You were correct. There
are many different types and styles of ICD. But I'll tell you,
whenever my wife turns on the microwave oven, I have to duck for cover
behind RF-reflecting/absorbing something (metal) and hide from the
Death Rays the goddamn thing puts out.
snip
Post by Lawrence Glickman
I wonder, can
you make clothes out of aluminum foil that is comfortable to wear?
Hot as hell, but what about metalized plastic film like those $2 space
blankets sewn up into a vest?

snip
Post by Lawrence Glickman
This is a big deal only if you think being alive is a big deal. Many
don't. I'm undecided about it at times myself ;-)
Being alive is a VERY big deal in my book. As W C Fields once quipped
about getting older, it's not much but considering the alternative.
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 09:38:51 UTC
Post by Lawrence Glickman
This is a big deal only if you think being alive is a big deal. Many
don't. I'm undecided about it at times myself ;-)
Being alive is a VERY big deal in my book. As W C Fields once quipped
about getting older, it's not much but considering the alternative.
I'm only half kidding about the foil. I need some material that can
provide 360 degree shielding for my upper torso and I was thinking I
could make a poncho out of a Space Blanket, cut down to size of
course, for those times I _have_ to be or work around electromagnetic
fields.

I am going to talk to Doc about this when I see him again in a week or
so for my device testings.

Well I never thought this would really happen to me. I am fortunate
that I have this *protection.* I just have to learn how to live with
it. Even the spark plug and ignition system on my snowthrower is
going to have to get a cowling cover (home made) because that will
present high energy RF fields that will be too close to the ICD. The
lawnmower motor is down at ground level, but the snowthrower is built
up, so the plug and wire is about knee high. Maybe too close.

In fact, I'm going to do some web research on this, searching news
groups and websites. I can't be the first person to have this
problem. Maybe some suggestions are already out there waiting for me
to find them.

Lg
Stormin Mormon
2007-09-25 11:46:24 UTC
"Lawrence Glickman" <***@comcast.net> wrote in message news:***@4ax.com...
: >>>At Walgreens, an aluminum 3 "AA" with 4 white LEDs
: >>>for $5.99. More light output than a single bulb.

CY: we do have Walgreens in my area. I'm seriously tempted. Besides, they
have crank em up lights that will charge my cell phone.
: >>>
:
: Thanks Mr Smith. I did some web research at hospital ( with special
: permission...I was only allowed access to medical information
: websites, so no posts available to this n/g. You were correct. There
: are many different types and styles of ICD. But I'll tell you,
: whenever my wife turns on the microwave oven, I have to duck for cover
: behind RF-reflecting/absorbing something (metal) and hide from the
: Death Rays the goddamn thing puts out. Microwaves can serious f*ck up
: the programming in my computer, as the leads going down into my heart
: chambers act like receiving antennae.

CY:This relates to interesting flashlights, how?

:
: Once the program is fubared, so am I. Thinking I'm protected when I
: am not. That is why I have to visit Cardiologist now and then to have
: this checked with special equipment...to be sure everything is working
: correctly.

CY: Did he use an interesting flashlight?

:
: Microwave ovens, high voltage, big transformers, any and every
: stinking electromagnetic radiator has become The Enemy. I wonder, can
: you make clothes out of aluminum foil that is comfortable to wear?
: Even chainsaws with ignition systems that aren't shielded, running car
: engines with the hood up ( spark plug wires ), every fucking thing you
: can think of, I can add to the list.

CY: Flashlights?

:
: Now the mfgr. has gone to great lengths to try to limit the damage
: these stray RF fields can do, but remember we are dealing with ONE
: HALF A VOLT of electromotive force when the ventricles contract,
: putting the sensitivity of the ICD at a threshold that is easily
: endangered.

CY: What is that, in AA cells?

:
: The *capture voltage* for my right ventricle is 1 volt (determined by
: electrophysiologists who measure this while you're lying on the slab
: in the OR) which is double the firing threshold. IOW, they adjust the
: pacemaker to put out twice the capture voltage at the LOW END. At the
: high end, there is enough current to blow you out of your chair, from
: what I hear, but if you get that, you're probably unconscious already
: from fibrillation so you may or may not feel it anyhow. And even if
: you do, it has just Saved your Life, so who give a you know what.
:
: My instructions are to get to the ER if I have a big jolt, because
: there is a storage Event Memory in the device that holds data for up
: to X hours, and I have to go to ER so they can decode what set the ICD
: off to begin with. According to my cardiologist.

CY: Would that be LED or filament?

:
:
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 11:59:07 UTC
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 07:46:24 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
Post by Stormin Mormon
[...]
I went for a 2 fer one. Rather...putting two subjects under 1
heading:

a) where I was, what happened during my absence
b) flashlight observations of my own

If you want further instruction in *creative* cognitive skills, may I
refer you to Akmed Adinejab's presentation at Columbia University.
Post by Stormin Mormon
: Once the program is fubared, so am I. Thinking I'm protected when I
: am not. That is why I have to visit Cardiologist now and then to have
: this checked with special equipment...to be sure everything is working
: correctly.
CY: Did he use an interesting flashlight?
Okay, we don't have to talk about that particular subject anymore in
this thread. I added information that was indeed survival
related...you decide.

Flashlight vs. life & death

Pick your topic and go with it.
Post by Stormin Mormon
: Microwave ovens, high voltage, big transformers, any and every
: stinking electromagnetic radiator has become The Enemy. I wonder, can
: you make clothes out of aluminum foil that is comfortable to wear?
: Even chainsaws with ignition systems that aren't shielded, running car
: engines with the hood up ( spark plug wires ), every fucking thing you
: can think of, I can add to the list.
CY: Flashlights?
redundant
Post by Stormin Mormon
[...]
You may be in this situation someday. Pay attention.

Lg
Stormin Mormon
2007-09-25 11:49:55 UTC
If you're interested in metal mesh clothes, might want to net search SCA,
Society for Creative Anachronisms. Years ago (late 1970s) someone told me
they were into early historic weapons -- includign chain mail armor. That
might give you the RF shielding you desire.
--
.
:
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 12:01:49 UTC
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 07:49:55 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
Post by Stormin Mormon
If you're interested in metal mesh clothes, might want to net search SCA,
Society for Creative Anachronisms. Years ago (late 1970s) someone told me
they were into early historic weapons -- includign chain mail armor. That
might give you the RF shielding you desire.
Nice of you to provide the reference. Weight and bulk would be a
concern of mine, so I think I'll try the foil/poly space blanket idea
first. Small, folds up to pocket size, cheap, available at most
discount stores.

Lg
Frank Gilliland
How about gold lame'?
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 12:33:15 UTC
Post by Stormin Mormon
If you're interested in metal mesh clothes, might want to net search SCA,
Society for Creative Anachronisms. Years ago (late 1970s) someone told me
they were into early historic weapons -- includign chain mail armor. That
might give you the RF shielding you desire.
Nice of you to provide the reference. Weight and bulk would be a
concern of mine, so I think I'll try the foil/poly space blanket idea
first. Small, folds up to pocket size, cheap, available at most
discount stores.
How about gold lame'?
If you're buying. Otherwise, it's something less expensive. WHEN,
not IF I have to work on a running car engine, I will slip my head
through the poncho hole I will cut in the center, and tie a string
around the affair, much like a crossing guard for school children
wears. When I'm done working, folds up and goes in pocket or
elsewhere.

Lg
Stormin Mormon
2007-09-25 12:45:53 UTC
Sounds like a good idea. I'd want to be somewhat sure that mylar blankets
provide shielding. Otherwise the ambulance guys can have some funny
expressions on their face, and be joking back at the station about "Glickman
from outer space".
--
.

:
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 12:52:46 UTC
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 08:45:53 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
Post by Stormin Mormon
Sounds like a good idea. I'd want to be somewhat sure that mylar blankets
provide shielding. Otherwise the ambulance guys can have some funny
expressions on their face, and be joking back at the station about "Glickman
from outer space".
We're IN outer space, or haven't you had your satellite view of earth
in the Milky Way lately.
Stormin Mormon
2007-09-25 17:49:14 UTC
How high altitude are you? Outer space starts several hundred or thousand
feet from the planet surface.

Though, that would explain a few things about you.
--
.
:
: in the Milky Way lately.
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 20:36:38 UTC
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 13:49:14 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
Post by Stormin Mormon
How high altitude are you? Outer space starts several hundred or thousand
feet from the planet surface.
Though, that would explain a few things about you.
My gps receiver says 610 feet above mean sea level. Although, I
consider my self a satellite to planet earth. What about all the
people in jets around the world at any given time? There are 2,000
commercial planes in the air at any given time IIRC, at about 36,000
feet.
Stormin Mormon
:
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-25 12:51:43 UTC
Will do
Retief
2007-10-01 04:14:39 UTC
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 07:51:43 -0500, Lawrence Glickman
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Post by Stormin Mormon
I'm not sure the foil blankets provide any protection against magnetic
radiation. I'd think to ask my cardiologist, or net search the matter.
Will do
The problem is from AC magnetic, not DC magnetic, isn't it?

Still not sure that a stack of aluminized mylar sheets would provide
the protection you want (RF skin depth will probably tell you).

Also, would the shield need to cover your whole torso, or will your
body provide enough attentuation, except in the near vicinity of the
pacemaker (which it likely close to the skin)?

If the latter is true, you may only need a "patch" that covers the
small region around the device.

Retief
Lawrence Glickman
2007-10-01 08:39:37 UTC
Post by Retief
The problem is from AC magnetic, not DC magnetic, isn't it?
The problem with DC magnetic is that it will Turn Off the pacemaking
part of the device...except for bradycardia pacing (slow heart beat).

It may or may NOT go back to *regular pacing* when the magnetic field
is removed. I don't know what effect it has on the defibrillator part
of the unit, but don't want to find out by accident.
Post by Retief
Still not sure that a stack of aluminized mylar sheets would provide
the protection you want (RF skin depth will probably tell you).
I don't know either.
Post by Retief
Also, would the shield need to cover your whole torso, or will your
body provide enough attentuation, except in the near vicinity of the
pacemaker (which it likely close to the skin)?
Depends on the strength of the RF or magnetic field.
Post by Retief
If the latter is true, you may only need a "patch" that covers the
small region around the device.
Retief
Well, like I said, these things are designed to measure =millivolts=.
So that is the problem. Yes the device has some shelding in and of
itself, but there is a long list of *do nots* that come with it. I'm
just trying to figure out a way to get back to *normal life* as much
as possible, but see some things look like they are to be avoided at
all costs at the moment.

Lg
Retief
2007-10-02 01:38:24 UTC
On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 03:39:37 -0500, Lawrence Glickman
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Post by Retief
The problem is from AC magnetic, not DC magnetic, isn't it?
The problem with DC magnetic is that it will Turn Off the pacemaking
part of the device...except for bradycardia pacing (slow heart beat).
If you are worried about DC magnetic fields, then aluminized mylar
will definitely _NOT_ protect you. Aluminum is conductive, but
non-magnetic -- so it will respond to an AC field (i.e. exhibit a skin
depth, and thus provide RF shielding, if thick enough), but will
transparent to a static magnetic field.

For a DC field, you want a material known as "mu metal", which is
simply a highly magnetic susceptibility metal, but you could also use
a sheet of soft iron (nice thing about these materials is that, IIRC,
they are quite soft and malleable, so you could conformally fit them
over the region).

Does your doctor know how strong a DC field the device can handle
unshielded? Perhaps we can do an experiment or two and determine if a
small-ish plate would work, and how thick it would need to be ("Hey
Larry, hold still while I test this...." ;)

I really doubt that you want a full vest made of either of these
materials (the weight would be horrible, not to mention the lack of
breathability). But if you could make a lightweight fabric vest, with
a stack of 6" square shielding plates in the region of interest, that
might be tolerable.
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Post by Retief
Still not sure that a stack of aluminized mylar sheets would provide
the protection you want (RF skin depth will probably tell you).
I don't know either.
Sounds like not, since you're concerned about DC fields.
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Post by Retief
Also, would the shield need to cover your whole torso, or will your
body provide enough attentuation, except in the near vicinity of the
pacemaker (which it likely close to the skin)?
Depends on the strength of the RF or magnetic field.
Fortunately, DC magnetic dipole fields drop off like 1/r^3, so they
get weak pretty quickly.

RF fields will tend to interact with the conductive fluids in your
body (e.g. saline in your body fluids) and will result in a skin depth
(quite literally... ;), just like using the aluminized mylar, or other
metal film. I wouldn't expect very much to pass completely through
your body, so only the region where the device is near the skin
surface should be any problem.
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Post by Retief
If the latter is true, you may only need a "patch" that covers the
small region around the device.
Well, like I said, these things are designed to measure =millivolts=.
So that is the problem. Yes the device has some shelding in and of
itself, but there is a long list of *do nots* that come with it. I'm
just trying to figure out a way to get back to *normal life* as much
as possible, but see some things look like they are to be avoided at
all costs at the moment.
Here are some shielding materials, for example:

http://www.lessemf.com/mag-shld.html

Retief
Neil
2007-10-03 13:17:23 UTC
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Post by Retief
The problem is from AC magnetic, not DC magnetic, isn't it?
The problem with DC magnetic is that it will Turn Off the pacemaking
part of the device...except for bradycardia pacing (slow heart beat).
It may or may NOT go back to *regular pacing* when the magnetic field
is removed. I don't know what effect it has on the defibrillator part
of the unit, but don't want to find out by accident.
Magnet response is deliberate. Pacemakers are designed to respond to
magnets in a particular way as a built in test.

If you do this at the wrong time for for a prolonged period it is not
good but removal of the magnet should cause it to switch back
immediately if it doesn't the pacemaker is faulty. Also magnet rate is
the emergency fall back if during surgery you have to work near the
pacemaker in certain ways.

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1704.htm
Lawrence Glickman
2007-10-03 15:38:13 UTC
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Post by Retief
The problem is from AC magnetic, not DC magnetic, isn't it?
The problem with DC magnetic is that it will Turn Off the pacemaking
part of the device...except for bradycardia pacing (slow heart beat).
It may or may NOT go back to *regular pacing* when the magnetic field
is removed. I don't know what effect it has on the defibrillator part
of the unit, but don't want to find out by accident.
Magnet response is deliberate. Pacemakers are designed to respond to
magnets in a particular way as a built in test.
If you do this at the wrong time for for a prolonged period it is not
good but removal of the magnet should cause it to switch back
immediately if it doesn't the pacemaker is faulty. Also magnet rate is
the emergency fall back if during surgery you have to work near the
pacemaker in certain ways.
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1704.htm
DC and AC magnetic interference is forbidden according to my
literature. I was _not_ given a magnetic ring with my device. This
is at the discretion of the cardiologist.

Fortunately for me, V-tach can be interrupted by pacing, in as few as
3 heartbeats. If I'm lucky, I can avoid *the big one* from the ICD by
just relying on the pacemaker to keep V-tach in abeyance.

Thanks for the information; I've saved the information to my computer
as a reference.

As a Postscript:
I feel fine. No more chest congestion (CHF). I am beginning to enjoy
the benefits of being bionic.

Lg

David J. Hughes
2007-09-26 01:39:44 UTC
Post by Stormin Mormon
If you're interested in metal mesh clothes, might want to net search SCA,
Society for Creative Anachronisms. Years ago (late 1970s) someone told me
they were into early historic weapons -- includign chain mail armor. That
might give you the RF shielding you desire.
See also "shark Suits", fine mesh welded ring SS chain mail, much
lighter than the Combat armour stuff.
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-26 03:02:06 UTC
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:39:44 -0500, "David J. Hughes"
Post by David J. Hughes
Post by Stormin Mormon
If you're interested in metal mesh clothes, might want to net search SCA,
Society for Creative Anachronisms. Years ago (late 1970s) someone told me
they were into early historic weapons -- includign chain mail armor. That
might give you the RF shielding you desire.
See also "shark Suits", fine mesh welded ring SS chain mail, much
lighter than the Combat armour stuff.
Way too expensive, David. Thanks for the thoughts though. Sometimes
it doesn't take much to set these things off. I read a story about a
guy who switched on his bathroom lights and got the defib bolt of
lightening out of his ICD. Turns out he had a faulty switch and the
alternating current that traveled through his body was the right
frequency to be interpreted by the ICD as fibrillation, and in that
case, the thing doesn't *wait,* it just goes full out blazammo.

They traced the electrical malfunction to the bathroom light switch,
replaced it, and he hasn't had a problem since.

Moral of the story is, I'm just going to raise my awareness level
about things I never used to think about at all. Worked and played
with electricity and RF most of my life and never gave it a second
thought. Now all of a sudden....

Thing is, the power source for the implant is limited, and gives out
35 Joules of energy directly into the heart tissue. Do that too many
times, and you're in for another implant at $41,000 a pop. Aside from
the jolt, which I've been told is like having a mailbox hit your chest
at 60 miles/hour.

They way the electrophysiologists induce v-fib in the OR is to play
with inducing voltages in your leads during you "T wave", the part of
the QRST complex that makes up a normal heartbeat. The T stage is the
repolarization time it takes for the ventricles to *recover* after a
contraction. It doesn't take much to turn a person into fertilizer
when fooling with the low-level electrical system of the heart.

So I'm careful now. I don't want _unnecessary_ jolts for obvious
reasons. If they're needed, they save your life...if not needed, it
is a waste of power and a painful if brief experience.

Lg
batesnathan
2007-09-27 04:04:54 UTC
I have a condition called PVT, spent 2 days in the hospital last June (06)
for tests and the doctor said a pacemaker wouldnt work, the only choices
were RF surgery or Lopressor to regulate my heartbeat. I opted for the
Lopressor. Works pretty good. I do need to find an online source for it tho,
as its ridiculous going to the doctor just to get a prescription renewed. Im
just a struggling carpenter with no health insurance, so I get by the best
way I can.
Ive found that too much caffeine, too many cigarettes, etc. tends to make my
heart skip a little, but the biggest culprit Ive found is heat. I work a lot
outdoors and sweat til theres not a dry thread on me, and that will
definitely get me skipping. No doubt, loss of electrolytes. Ive found
Gatorade to be a BIG help on that.
Otherwise, I do know of a local guy with the defib thing, he says it will
knock him off the couch if it kicks in hard.
NB
Lg
Stormin Mormon
2007-09-27 04:00:12 UTC
http://bmpharmacy.com/default.php?ref=250
http://www.bmpharmacy.com/all_products.php
http://mexican-drugstore.com/
http://onlinemexicomeds.com/searchresults.asp?page=2&strAlpha=L
--
.
Im
Nathan Bates
2007-09-27 05:04:00 UTC
Re: Glickman's pace maker (or Bates Lopressor)

Group: alt.survival Date: Thu, Sep 27, 2007, 12:00am (CDT+1) From:
cayoung61##spamblock$$@hotmail.com (Stormin=A0Mormon)
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0http://bmpharmacy.com/default.php?ref=3D250 =A0
http://www.bmpharmacy.com/all_products.php =A0
http://mexican-drugstore.com/
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0http://onlinemexicomeds.com/searchresults.asp?page=3D2&s=
trAlpha=3DL
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Many Thanks to you SM!
NB

renewed. Im
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-27 06:10:41 UTC
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 22:04:54 -0600, "batesnathan"
Post by batesnathan
[...]
Yes, it can knock your socks off if it goes full bore. Well, so I've
been told. I will find out sooner or later (I'm hoping later).

OTOH, when it does its' thing, it just saved my Life. If it is
programmed correctly. So the downside is a Rude Awakening. The
upside is living another day to tell the Tale.

I don't know what PVT is. Let me go to medical acronyms to find out:
just a moment please...

Okay, the closes match I can put together is "polymorphic ventricular
tachycardia"

If that is the correct translation, Yes, beta blockers are the right
drug. I take metoprolol myself (generic lopressor). And that is all
good information from your doctor, as far as my research can take me
without seeing a rhythm strip from an EKG (I'm not a doctor, but I DO
play one on the Internet ).

It is worthy to note that fully 1/2 of cardiac deaths are Sudden
Cardiac Deaths, equated with a rhythm disturbance, most often
Ventricular Fibrillation, which is what Ventricular Tachycardia _can_
turn into. For some people, they just faint. For other people, it is
a POTENTIAL fatal arrhythmia. The V-fib being the final fatal
arrhythmia.

So, if you have to get on your hands and knees to get the chemical, do
so. Your local hospital might be able to direct you to a local
community resource for your supply or financial aid.

Lg
batesnathan
2007-09-27 21:05:47 UTC
Yes, you have the correct definition of PVT. The EKG would show a few normal
beats, all spiking up, then a big spike downward about every 10 seconds.
This has been going on since I was about 35 (Im now 47), but with increasing
frequency as I get older. I never knew what it was until last year, as no
doctor would take it seriously or check to see if it was my heart. They
would just brush it off as my hiatial hernia acting up, etc.. I figured out
what it was myself because I bought a digital blood pressure machine that
blinks a heart symbol everytime your heart beats as its letting the pressure
off. When I would feel my heart "skip", the symbol would go blank from the
screen, and resume blinking when my heart resumed beating. It would stop for
3 to 5 seconds at a time when I had the bad attack of it. I went to the ER
and told them this, and suddenly they started taking me seriously. Finally
they hook up their machine, and see the same thing. That little home BP
machine saved the day.
As a side note, it took (many) doctors 12 years to determine I had BAD
Rheumatoid arthritis.
Moral of all this long winded story: Many doctors dont seem to know what the
hell they are doing, so dont trust them too much. I think they are mostly
worried about making their next Hummer payment, etc..
As for "financial assistance", heres another moral. If youve EVER worked and
paid taxes, like I have since I was 15 years old, you will get little to no
assistance. If youre an illegal, or come from a family thats been on welfare
for several generations, youre good to go.
Im also partially blind from Retinal Ischemia, and when I applied for
disability, I could not get it, altho I do have a letter from the appeals
judge stating basically that I am mostly disabled, but that there are SOME
jobs I could probably do. In other words, according to the SSA, if you are a
quadraplegic, you should be able to find work as a paperweight.
NB
Lg
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-27 20:29:43 UTC
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 15:05:47 -0600, "batesnathan"
Post by batesnathan
[...]
Absolutely! I had to diagnose some of my own medical problems with a
Merck Manual because I had been misdiagnosed and/or ignored for many
years and was getting =pissed= that none of the 20 or so doctors I had
seen gave a correct diagnosis. They either didn't have the time or
the interest, which further torqued my jaws.

It is OK for your heart to skip a beat every now and then; that is to
be expected if you smoke and drink coffee. But to stop beating for 3
to 5 seconds is really reaching for the edge of the cliff of no return
if you ask me.
Post by batesnathan
As a side note, it took (many) doctors 12 years to determine I had BAD
Rheumatoid arthritis.
See above. No surprise there. This is why I have the interest in
medicine. For MY OWN survival. I already know from experience it is
always a mistake to take a doctor's diagnosis at face value without
further research or verification.
Post by batesnathan
Moral of all this long winded story: Many doctors dont seem to know what the
hell they are doing, so dont trust them too much.
There is too much information for a human mind to hold in the field of
medicine, and if they don't take the TIME TO RESEARCH then there is a
good chance a proper diagnosis is NOT going to be made, unless the
problem is obvious.
Post by batesnathan
I think they are mostly
worried about making their next Hummer payment, etc..
As for "financial assistance", heres another moral. If youve EVER worked and
paid taxes, like I have since I was 15 years old, you will get little to no
assistance. If youre an illegal, or come from a family thats been on welfare
for several generations, youre good to go.
That is truly FUBAR, but the truth.
Post by batesnathan
Im also partially blind from Retinal Ischemia, and when I applied for
disability, I could not get it, altho I do have a letter from the appeals
judge stating basically that I am mostly disabled, but that there are SOME
jobs I could probably do. In other words, according to the SSA, if you are a
quadraplegic, you should be able to find work as a paperweight.
NB
IIRC you have to be completely *blind* according to the LEGAL (not
medical) definition of Blind. Now you would think that the two
definitions would be the same. They are not. FUBAR.

Anyhow, Nathan, I hoping and praying you get some good medical care
now that your condition is _known_ and properly identified. I will
help you in any way I can: feel free to email me anytime with any
thoughts or questions.

Lg
batesnathan
Lg
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-28 06:33:01 UTC
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 00:33:06 -0600, "batesnathan"
Post by batesnathan
Many thanks for the thoughts LG.
Regards,
NB
Thanks for sharing NB. Sometimes it gets lonely *out here* thinking
I'm the only guy with this kind of trouble. We, you and I, will get
through it. We're survivors.

Lg
RadicalModerate
2007-09-28 16:40:57 UTC
Lawrence Glickman <***@comcast.net> wrote:

My younger brother (age 52) has a defib in him [1] ... do hope yours works
out
OK for you Lawrence!

[1] His wife may have been laying it on a bit thick but she told me sh
feels every day he lives is a gift.
The published From: address is a trap.
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-28 20:18:10 UTC
Post by RadicalModerate
My younger brother (age 52) has a defib in him [1] ... do hope yours works
out
OK for you Lawrence!
[1] His wife may have been laying it on a bit thick but she told me sh
feels every day he lives is a gift.
Hi RM, what else can you call it but a gift? Good day or Bad day, it
is a day we wouldn't have otherwise.

Looking at my rhythm strip with my cardiologist, he didn't think I had
a future, good or bad, without the implant, so we went for it. I saw
the V-tachs for myself.

Survival is about The Will to Live. I have it. I don't know where it
came from, but I make it clear to my medical professionals that as
long as I have SOME quality of Life, I don't want to die if it can be
avoided. Not yet. I know I have to go sooner or later, but if we
can, let's make it later.

I feel very fortunate that this rhythm anomaly was discovered early.
It was only in radiotelemetry that they picked it up, as I was
confined to the ward for a long long time, and the Holter test
completely missed it AFAIK. So waiting and doing nothing for all that
time in the hospital turns out to be what saved my life.

Now, every day I get is a gift. Even if it is a bad day. I'm alive.

Thanks for the good wishes, and the thoughts.

Lg
batesnathan
2007-09-29 07:11:10 UTC
Post by batesnathan
Many thanks for the thoughts LG.
Regards,
NB
Thanks for sharing NB. Sometimes it gets lonely *out here* thinking
I'm the only guy with this kind of trouble. We, you and I, will get
through it. We're survivors.
Lg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Main thing, keep a close check on it. Friend of mine died with a sudden
heart attack last year (he was 70). He had already had one bypass operation
a few years prior. Had some new warning signs that he put off seeing about
"til later". Cost him his life.
The local guy I mentioned with the pacemaker on steroids, as far as I know,
the bottom part of his heart is barely functioning, but he has lived several
years now with this device. He looks to be about early 50's. I dont know the
guy personally, but my sister-in-law does, and thats what Ive heard from her
about him.
So, youll probably live a long time, LG!
NB
Lawrence Glickman
2007-09-29 06:29:32 UTC
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 01:11:10 -0600, "batesnathan"
Post by batesnathan
Post by Lawrence Glickman
Thanks for sharing NB. Sometimes it gets lonely *out here* thinking
I'm the only guy with this kind of trouble. We, you and I, will get
through it. We're survivors.
Lg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Main thing, keep a close check on it.
Indeed so!
What led to all of this on my end, was I noticed that I had to take
sublingual Nitro daily, and was going through a lot of it, even though
it did erase the chest pains. Turns out...my Left Anterior Descending
heart artery had closed off. So had I not mentioned this to my Family
Physician, I would probably be dead right now. Just from that alone.

Family Physician said get to ER immediately, which I did, and thus
began the saga. So it turns out that what I thought was *just a
little out of the ordinary* turned into something that was really
getting ready to kill me dead. Dr. caught it in time, but only
because =I MENTIONED= this. He had no other way of knowing something
was unusual.
Post by batesnathan
Friend of mine died with a sudden
heart attack last year (he was 70). He had already had one bypass operation
a few years prior. Had some new warning signs that he put off seeing about
"til later". Cost him his life.
I hear that Loud and Clear.
Those little *new* warning signs, like small tremors before the big
earthquake. To be ignored at one's own peril.

The problem on my end is this:
When you go to Hospital or even local doctor, they give you 15
minutes. If you can't *make your case* in 15 minutes, they're off to
somebody else and you're out the door. So really, you have to do your
own research. And come up with a convincing argument, before you
*present for evaluation.*
Post by batesnathan
The local guy I mentioned with the pacemaker on steroids, as far as I know,
the bottom part of his heart is barely functioning, but he has lived several
years now with this device. He looks to be about early 50's. I dont know the
guy personally, but my sister-in-law does, and thats what Ive heard from her
about him.
So, youll probably live a long time, LG!
NB
To a Long and Happy Life for both of us! I can feel a difference
already. Previously, I had a times when a lot of fluid would back up
in my lungs. I had no explanation for this and nobody else did
either. Since I've been on the pacemaker part of my machine, I have
had NO excess fluids in my lungs!

Moral of the story, A PERSON HAS TO BECOME PART OF THE MEDICAL TEAM
THAT IS TREATING THEM. Nobody knows their own body better than the
patient!

Our best revenge on our enemies, is to outlive them.

Lg
not the moderator
2007-09-25 05:04:47 UTC
I got these all over the place. I have used them in the woods and they
are bright. If you point them in someone's eyes at night, they blind
almost like a small tactical light. They have a wide dispersing beam,
but they would pick up an animals eye reflection easily at 150 feet
on dark night in the woods. Nine LEDs and three AAA's. Aluminum,

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93712
Stormin Mormon