The Hidden Environmental Impact of AI
Chasseur
2024-06-29 19:31:36 UTC
https://jacobin.com/2024/06/ai-data-center-energy-usage-environment

Chasseur
2024-06-30 13:19:27 UTC
Post by Chasseur
https://jacobin.com/2024/06/ai-data-center-energy-usage-environment
Chasseur
Why stop at AI? You can add blockchains and the modern world to this
argument. Then we can ask ourselves, do we really need all of those
computers? Couldn't we just live happily as they did in the 1850s with
1850s technology? Or should we aim at 1920s technology or perhaps 1980s?
Chasseur
2024-06-30 14:06:57 UTC
Post by D
Post by Chasseur
https://jacobin.com/2024/06/ai-data-center-energy-usage-environment
Chasseur
Why stop at AI? You can add blockchains and the modern world to this
argument. Then we can ask ourselves, do we really need all of those
computers? Couldn't we just live happily as they did in the 1850s with
1850s technology? Or should we aim at 1920s technology or perhaps 1980s?
Hopefully you are not serious.
We need computers and we need AI, these are now part of our
civilization. However, we the People, also need to understand and
control the negative aspects of their consequences and or misuse, so
that we can inform properly our first world low life politicians of our
eventual displeasure and that if they do not behave accordingly and for
the greater good, we will come knocking at their doors for amendments,
most notably, come election time.

Chasseur
It was a joke. ;)
Chasseur
[...]