living in vehicles
DogDiesel
2011-10-16 07:53:49 UTC
Im just searching for living in vehicles stuff. Found a little.

I found a blog about a guy who does pickup truck living for 9 months. There
has to be something good in it.

Heres a tidbit.

when i look at the numbers below what i am most concerned about is money.
for unemployment i was given about $4500 over six months. when i left i had
about $2000 in savings. now i am down to about $1500 in savings, no
unemployment left and some pocket money. so, i started with $6500, i have
$1500 left and spent $1500 so far on gas. what the hell happened to that
other $3500?

i would like to say food, but that certainly isnt the case. i only recently
started spending money on food, since my foodstamps were canceled. this is
something to ponder, i havent spent much (if any) money on tourist things, i
have spent money on oil changes and a few other truck related things. i
guess that most of it has gone to various bars and liquor stores. on that
note, i havent drank any kind of alcohol for weeks. it is partly a conscious
break and partly a money saving endeavor.

but that is neither here nor there. it is in the ether. i think i will start
playing the lottery.

http://iliveinapickuptruck.blogspot.com/2009_05_03_archive.html

http://thesurvivalmom.com/2011/02/17/repost-12-tips-for-living-out-of-your-car/

http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/living-in-truck-camper/

http://vandwellers.org/

http://cheaprvliving.com/BuildYourOwnCamper.html

http://marisalavalette.com/

http://hobopoet.com/car-living-skills/

http://www.theonion.com/articles/living-out-of-your-car-is-a-dying-art,10919/
b***@yahoo.com
2011-10-16 08:47:14 UTC
Post by DogDiesel
[...]
With a cell phone and rented post office box, you should be able to
apply for jobs at the big box stores. You apply for government
supported housing, which costs you like not more than 30% of your
income. You can dine at the Salvation Army. Get rid of all your
personal possessions not needed. Shop at thrift stores. See if a
neighborhood health clinic is available to you.

What else do you need, short of someone to pump your lungs so you can
breathe? bookburn
CanopyCo
2011-10-16 14:11:51 UTC
Post by b***@yahoo.com
Post by DogDiesel
[...]
Last time I tried that I had to show mail from where I lived, as only
residents of the area can get a PO box at each post office.
I was trying to get a post office box that would let me get my mail
without leaving work early as my job started before the local post
office opened and ended after the local post office closed, preventing
me from picking up packages without missing work.
Post by b***@yahoo.com
You apply for government
supported housing, which costs you like not more than 30% of your
income.
If you are on Social Security or have kids.
Otherwise, forget it.
And in Oklahoma the waiting list is over a year long and the last time
I looked they weren’t even taking applications because the waiting
list was to long.
breathe? bookburn
b***@yahoo.com
2011-10-16 20:12:27 UTC
Post by CanopyCo
Post by b***@yahoo.com
Post by DogDiesel
[...]
Seems like you have rights as a citizen to get a mail box. If they
aren't willing to help, something's wrong. In any case, I was
referring to the kind of mail box that you rent from a private
company, usually also offering mail forwarding and telephone
answering.
Post by CanopyCo
Post by b***@yahoo.com
You apply for government
supported housing, which costs you like not more than 30% of your
income.
If you are on Social Security or have kids.
Otherwise, forget it.
And in Oklahoma the waiting list is over a year long and the last time
I looked they weren’t even taking applications because the waiting
list was to long.
Supposed to be there are other categories allowed housing assistance.
They put prison inmates in there as half-way houses and parole, too.
Homeless people are allowed. Can take a year after applying. Federal
program is called Section 8 Housing, otherwise it's a state program
that matches federal funds and managed by a private company, I assume.
breathe? bookburn
robert bowman
2011-10-16 17:07:40 UTC
Post by DogDiesel
guess that most of it has gone to various bars and liquor stores. on that
note, i havent drank any kind of alcohol for weeks.
A friend of mine had a wife with the ultimate discussion stopper. When she
wanted to buy something for the house and he objected, she'd reply
with "You pissed more money down a barroom urinal last month..."

I lived in a pickup with a just a fiberglass canopy, not a camper shell, for
most of '88 and '89. In '88 my biggest expense was gas since I was
wandering around in the area west of the Rockies. Food tended to be beans,
wheat, and oat groats, the latter two purchased at a feed store.
b***@yahoo.com
2011-10-16 20:30:48 UTC
Post by robert bowman
Post by DogDiesel
guess that most of it has gone to various bars and liquor stores. on that
note, i havent drank any kind of alcohol for weeks.
A friend of mine had a wife with the ultimate discussion stopper. When she
wanted to buy something for the house and he objected, she'd reply
with "You pissed more money down a barroom urinal last month..."
I lived in a pickup with a just a fiberglass canopy, not a camper shell, for
most of '88 and '89. In '88 my biggest expense was gas since I was
wandering around in the area west of the Rockies. Food tended to be beans,
wheat, and oat groats, the latter two purchased at a feed store.
I think we have to take it easy on ourselves when the connect switches
are down. Easy to get disconcerted and all when your home address is
fuzzy. Many homeless in California and Florida just living in public,
getting drunk when they can, and sleeping on the grass.

I stayed at a place supported by the Salvation Army in Anchorage for
most of a year while getting my feet under me. Had no car. Had to
use bus service to get to temporary jobs. People there were like
walking wounded in their troubled lives. One guy sharing a room was
going to go physical on anyone interfering with his weights workout
schedule. Another was a recovered glue-sniffer with serious loss of
mental abilities. Woman who stole from refrigerators and sat in some
kind of frozen state, peeing on the floor. People very up-tight about
any threat to their identity, etc..

By the way, Salvation Army will help with housing for a short time, I
think. bookburn
fratermus
2011-10-17 05:08:50 UTC
Post by robert bowman
I lived in a pickup with a just a fiberglass canopy, not a camper shell, for
most of '88 and '89. In '88 my biggest expense was gas since I was
wandering around in the area west of the Rockies. Food tended to be beans,
wheat, and oat groats, the latter two purchased at a feed store.
I'm putting together a little camper shell on a Ranger setup for camping
(or BOV) purposes. Sleeping platform with storage underneath. 12v
deepcycle topped off by a solar panel feeding a small MPPT charge
controller.

It'd be livable if it came to that; hope it doesn't. Pics and ideas here:
http://www.mousetrap.net/mouse/hotelranger.html
robert bowman
2011-10-17 14:01:19 UTC
Post by fratermus
I'm putting together a little camper shell on a Ranger setup for camping
(or BOV) purposes. Sleeping platform with storage underneath.  12v
deepcycle topped off by a solar panel feeding a small MPPT charge
controller.
My setup is very similar. The advantage of using a simple shell is the
vehicle blends in nicely. I've camped out in NOLA during Mardi Gras as well
as parking garages in Boston and unless someone saw me climbing over the
tailgate they were none the wiser.

The only problem I've encountered was camping on BLM land. Cows associate
pickups with food and you may wake up surrounded by cattle. One downside is
you have to leave the vehicle to get to the drivers seat. There have been a
few times when I wished I could get the hell out of Dodge without exposing
myself.
Stormin Mormon
2011-10-18 12:31:42 UTC
That's something I don't have, but would like to. A bug out
vehicle with sleeping capability. I can easily imagine, that
it would be good to be able to pull over, and get a night
sleep and do it comfortably. Wake refreshed. My work van has
enough space, but it's full of tools.

Getting from the pickup bed, to the drivers seat. That's not
good, when it's raining or snowing. Or when you don't want
people to know that you've been sleeping in. Wear clothes,
so you don't expose yourself.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

myself.
CanopyCo
2011-10-20 16:06:09 UTC
On Oct 18, 7:31 am, "Stormin Mormon"
Post by Stormin Mormon
[...]
Speaking of such, have you ever noticed that there is a sexual
discrimination regarding exposing one’s self?

If a girl is on her way to her boyfriend’s house for a little fun,
with nothing but a trench coat on, and the wind blows up her front and
exposes the fact that she is nude underneath, it is a wardrobe
malfunction.

If I am on my way to my girlfriend’s house for a little fun with
nothing on but my trench coat, and the wind blows up the front of my
coat, it is all kinds of hell and I’m suddenly a sex criminal.
And the cut off pants legs were just so that my girlfriend wouldn’t
catch on to quick.
Honest!

Don’t ask me how I know.
;-)
Stormin Mormon
2011-10-20 17:29:59 UTC
I've noticed that. Janet Jackson versus Clarence Thomas?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

;-)
Nicholas
2011-10-20 18:05:05 UTC
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 13:29:59 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
Post by Stormin Mormon
I've noticed that. Janet Jackson versus Clarence Thomas?
Clarence the Long Dong Ranger? Makes you wonder which of the two is
certifiably insane.

Lg
Stormin Mormon
2011-10-20 19:07:45 UTC
Seeing as how Clarence was falsely accused, I think there is
a difference.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Lg
Nicholas
2011-10-20 20:59:34 UTC
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 15:07:45 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
Post by Stormin Mormon
Seeing as how Clarence was falsely accused, I think there is
a difference.
If Anita Hill way lying, then how come she wasn't sued for slander,
defamation of character, AND libel ?
Post by Stormin Mormon
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
Lg
Stormin Mormon
2011-10-21 01:24:00 UTC
I don't know the answer to that. Probably gender bias, like
we've been discussing.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Nicholas
2011-10-20 18:03:55 UTC
Post by Stormin Mormon
[...]
When the Puritans were running the country, they made a Law called
"Indecent Exposure."

Actually, I'm kind of glad they made that Law, since 50% of the US is
considered OBESE and they're doing me a personal favor by keeping
their clothes ON.

Lg
Stormin Mormon
2011-10-20 19:06:41 UTC

Now, wish we could enact that at Walmart.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Lg
Nicholas
2011-10-20 20:34:48 UTC
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 15:06:41 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
Post by Stormin Mormon
http://youtu.be/YvxNgdFeWqM
Now, wish we could enact that at Walmart.
I need a shower with LYE SOAP after watching that.
EEEEWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!
Post by Stormin Mormon
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Lg
Stormin Mormon
2011-10-21 01:23:05 UTC
Another couple glass of Manischevitz, and it all goes away
for a few hours. I saw a similar creature at the walmart,
couple days ago. Woman about four foot tall, five feet wide,
wearing polyester sweatpants. Pretty gruesome.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

http://youtu.be/YvxNgdFeWqM
EEEEWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!
CanopyCo
2011-10-21 13:44:52 UTC
Post by Stormin Mormon
[...]
Really takes the fun out of a nudist camp.
;-)
Nicholas
2011-10-21 18:27:03 UTC
Post by CanopyCo
Post by Nicholas
When the Puritans were running the country, they made a Law called
"Indecent Exposure."
Actually, I'm kind of glad they made that Law, since 50% of the US is
considered OBESE and they're doing me a personal favor by keeping
their clothes ON.
Lg
Really takes the fun out of a nudist camp.
;-)
Well, we have or had a nudist camp nearby where I live. When I walked
into the office to inquire, there was a stark naked vixen behind the
desk. I can't remember what I blurted out, if anything. I suspect
they only put the vixens on display to sucker new customer into the
club.

Lg
Debbie
2011-10-21 18:26:34 UTC
Post by Nicholas
Post by CanopyCo
Really takes the fun out of a nudist camp.
;-)
Well, we have or had a nudist camp nearby where I live. When I walked
into the office to inquire, there was a stark naked vixen behind the
desk. I can't remember what I blurted out, if anything. I suspect
they only put the vixens on display to sucker new customer into the
club.
Lg
I suspect you are correct. I know some folks who like to vacation at
nudist colonies. I try not to think about them naked.
Stormin Mormon
2011-10-21 19:12:10 UTC
I checked out an invite to a fitness club. They had a young
female show me around. I'd rather had a male tour guide. I
don't have Freudian envy. Just curious if the place would
meet my needs, I decided the two year contract was a bit
much.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Lg
Gunner Asch
2011-10-22 16:40:53 UTC
Post by Stormin Mormon
[...]
And the inventor of Spandex should have been executed for Creating a
public Yuckkkk!!!

The Friends of Walmart demonstrate this clearly.....

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Nicholas
2011-10-22 21:22:57 UTC
Post by Gunner Asch
Post by Nicholas
When the Puritans were running the country, they made a Law called
"Indecent Exposure."
Actually, I'm kind of glad they made that Law, since 50% of the US is
considered OBESE and they're doing me a personal favor by keeping
their clothes ON.
Lg
And the inventor of Spandex should have been executed for Creating a
public Yuckkkk!!!
The Friends of Walmart demonstrate this clearly.....
Gunner
Maybe Friends of Walmart should be forced to wear Burkas.

I feel a strange mixture of revulsion and pity for these Children of a
Lesser God. Nevertheless, I wouldn't want to be within 25 feet of one
for Fear of catching something =nasty=. At the very least, I'm
already having flashback/nightmares of these people walking around who
defecated in their pants and don't even realize it.

I'm surprised (not really) that the Whore Wallyworld even lets them
into their stores. Wally will do ANYTHING for a dollar.

Lg
robert bowman
2011-10-21 00:54:29 UTC
Post by CanopyCo
Speaking of such, have you ever noticed that there is a sexual
discrimination regarding exposing one’s self?
There's a lot of that. If a golden retriever needs to take a piss, he just
walks over to the nearest tree. Don't you try that. We don't even have the
rights of a frigging dog.
Stormin Mormon
2011-10-23 00:37:09 UTC
Dogs have thier gonads cut out, and then spend thier life
living in a box. Eating dry dog food. I'm not sure it's a
fair comparison.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Post by CanopyCo
Speaking of such, have you ever noticed that there is a
sexual
discrimination regarding exposing oneâ?Ts self?
rights of a frigging dog.
robert bowman
2011-10-23 01:07:58 UTC
Post by Stormin Mormon
Dogs have thier gonads cut out, and then spend thier life
living in a box. Eating dry dog food. I'm not sure it's a
fair comparison.
I don't know what state their gonads are in, but the local mutts seem to
spend a lot of time wandering around with their buddies. Sometimes they
score some nice, ripe roadkill for variety.
terryc
2011-10-18 01:46:00 UTC
Post by fratermus
I'm putting together a little camper shell on a Ranger setup for camping
(or BOV) purposes. Sleeping platform with storage underneath. 12v
deepcycle topped off by a solar panel feeding a small MPPT charge
controller.
Look into getting a dual source charger (car alternator + solar panel).
Some days the sun wont shine and if you are driving somewhere, you might
as well use the surplus alternator capacity to charge your house
batteries.There are a few around.

If you are building the shell/canopy look into making it with a raising
roof(from hinges at the front. you could have canvas sides. That extra
head room makes it so much easier to get inot and out of as the body
ages. You can close it down in winter to minimuse the air you need to
keep warm or open it up in summer for maximum heat diffusion.

Look at building a full ute/pick up drawer to make it easier to get to
stuff as th back. Or even a pair of side by side drawers.

Stage one is easy, if you have the storage crates with the strength. at
one stage here in Australia, there was a plastics company Nally who made
play cubes(36cm X 36cm x 36cm) and these were excelent for storing
almost all stuff (provided it fitted in the crate.

We often used these as the foundation for a pair of sheets of 15mm
plywood holding a queens size foam mattress in our van. We could also
erect a tent and use nine of these as the foundation to make it easier
to get into and out of.

The play cubes were strong enough to hold a heavy person standing on a
board on top of them. Limit of stacking was 5 or 6(by hand).

Depending on wheel arches inthe Ranger, you may get a base layer of 3x5,
then a second layer of 3x5 and depending on th canopy,the third layer
space would be taken up with the bed board and mattress.

Two major problems. One; real pain in the arse to drag stack after stack
out to get to the ones in front. the ones of the side might be
accessible through wide side canopy windows.

Two; they no longer make them.
Post by fratermus
It'd be livable if it came to that;
Do you remember the toyota hiace and the little tent to add to the back
raising door? something like that will help in inclement weather. There
are also commercial tents like the black Wolf turbo tent that can be
used like that. They have the height as well as be designed for quick
erection and dismantling.
Hisler
Very impressive link. Thanks for sharing. Lots of useful information.
Hisler
Winston_Smith
2011-11-02 19:43:03 UTC
Post by robert bowman
A friend of mine had a wife with the ultimate discussion stopper. When she
wanted to buy something for the house and he objected, she'd reply
with "You pissed more money down a barroom urinal last month..."
I saw a guy in the bar's bathroom pouring his beer in the urinal. I
asked him what he was doing and he said "cutting out the middle man".
Winston_Smith
2011-11-02 19:34:43 UTC
A semi-hoax but fun to think about.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/garbage-truck-home.shtml
The truck shown in the photographs, and other similar such vehicles,
do in fact exist. However, in spite of the appearance of the vehicle
shown in the photographs it is not actually a converted garbage truck.
In fact it is a purpose built mobile home. The vehicles are made by
UNICAT, a company based in Europe that now also has an American
branch.
Strabo
2011-11-03 06:30:28 UTC
http://www.unicat.net/en/pics/EX63HDM-MANTGA6x6-2.html